How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. F Your Own Question
Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 266
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. F is online now

I am looking on whether seeing a neurologist

Customer Question

I am looking for advice on whether seeing a neurologist is a suitable course of action for me.
I experience swelling down one side of my body, mainly my leg and ankle but also my hand. My stomach also swells significantly. I can trace pain down the outside of my leg and into my ankle. My toes feel cold and I also have some tingling in my hand at times. I often feel exhausted and very unwell when this happens. My other side is entirely unaffected.
I find temporary relief by raising my leg but it then quickly returns to feeling "heavy" and as if my leg doesn't belong to me, if that makes sense.
I am finding some relief from prescribed anti-inflammatory/pain killing medication but I am experiencing unwanted side effects and in fact it feels as if this is masking what I feel is a potentially serious underlying issue and I want to exhaust every possible avenue to attempt to uncover the root cause.
I am under a doctor who is of course trying to help but after 2 years the condition is worsening and I feel that I need to examine other avenues to uncover the cause. It has been suggested (not yet by my doctor) that I should perhaps consult either a neuroligist or a rheumatologist. I would like to discuss this with my doctor for possible referral but I just wanted first to get the thoughts of a neuroligist as to whether this was a suitable course of action to follow.
I appreciate that these details are sketchy however at this stage I am just looking for some advice on which type of medical professional is best to see next who may be able to help.
Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. The wait time for a response has been saying 8 minutes for the last 2.5 hours.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
this is Dr. DavidI am sorry about the delay.yes, you should see a should get a brain MRI scan and total spine MRI scan to look for spinal old are you?swelling of the abdomen can be due to your diet or swelling of your bowels due to gas or irritable bowel syndrome or food allergy like gluten allergy or lactose allergy.tingling in your hand can be due to a pinched nerve in your neck possibly.let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thank you very much for your reply.In answer to your question I am 42.Could spinal stenosis explain the swelling in my leg and foot which reduces temporarily when I raise my leg? Also that I feel so lacking in energy and feeling generally unwell?Thank you
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
spinal stenosis would not tend to cause these types of symptoms.spinal stenosis tends to cause symptoms of muscle weakness and numbness and pain below a certain level.excessive salt intake can cause you to retain fluid and cause swelling of the arm and leg.are you overweight?what is your diet like?have you tried to exercise regularly?