How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5642
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

I had a brain injury several years ago and have struggled

This answer was rated:

I had a brain injury several years ago and have struggled throughout life who is the best support to help guide me?.I struggle with simple tasks and feel I'm not achieving to live a full life. Any ideas and can you explain to me a bit more about my injury please.I had a head injury damaging my frontal lobe. the left side of my body left arm were shaky badly but have settled down. what side of the brain was damaged?. I try so hard to do normal things but can never seem to keep up with everyone else. Has my injury left me less receptiple? To what extent? I was in a coma for 11 days on life support. I had to learn to walk and talk again. I want you to help give me a bit more information please.Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thing that will help me get a better understanding please.

Hi there. If the left side of your body was affected by the brain injury, it would be the right side of your brain that was injured. As many traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are complex, this might be only one part of the brain affected, however. If you are several years out from your injury, there is little chance for further healing of the brain, but this does not mean you can't get better in terms of functionality. I would suggest you ask your family doctor for a referral to a TBI specialist, called a phsyiatrist (i.e. physical medicine and rehab specialist). Ask if you can be evaluated at a TBI center affiliated with an academic medical center (i.e. one with a medical school). These are the most up to date specialists, typically. They will take a team approach to evaluating your issues and addressing them one at a time.

Dr. Bob and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I just needed to know for myself.

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.