Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Dr.
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

My husband had cardiac arrest 11 months ago. He is peg

Customer Question

My husband had cardiac arrest 11 months ago. He is peg fed,and medicated.he is also uncommunicative he can blink 1 for yes 2 for no.will hebe peg fed indefinitely or will it ever be reversed?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

PEG is the safest possible mode of feeding for patients like this, who are in vegetative state and can not eat/drink themselves.

I am sure he had been assessed by swallow team and that they would have considered oral feeding (through mouth) unsafe for him, hence he ended up with PEG tube.

And I am sure you know about the risk of oral feeding---its aspiration pneumonia which can be life threatening.

Now coming back to your question again, no its not necessary that he will always be PEG fed.

If at any point of time, his neurological status improves, and he is able to chew or swallow properly, PEG can be reversed.

And before this is reversed, again a detailed swallow assessment would be required.

I have seen some patients who were of PEG feeding for a couple of years, but then they improved and eventually started taking orally.

Removing PEG is simple and takes few minutes. The main issue is to first make sure if it is safe for the patient to take orally.

Good luck

Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.