tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified in Critical Care Medicine
18722459

I had a virus about three weeks ago. It started as a sore

I had a virus about three weeks ago. It started as a sore throat and then evolved into aches ans pains with a cough and cold. This all went away two weeks ago although I still cough occasionally. I still have the sore throat and can’t get rid of it. Some days it isn’t too bad and then the next day it’s really painful. If never goes away totally. I was producing mucus which was clear but there’s not a lot of that now.

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

What's your question about this please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It’s about the sore throat. Is it normal for the sore throat to last This long. It just will not go away. As I was saying the virus went a while ago .

Well usually a viral pharyngitis--sore throat--will only last at most five days

In your case, since it's been with you for so long, it could be bacterial as in strep

The other possibility would be mononucleosis--a viral thing that can last for six weeks

At this point you need to see a doctor for an exam, throat culture and blood work to see if you need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I was worried it was going to be something serious.

Not too serious

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you