wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I have this sensation that, for months, I’ve just passed off

Customer Question

I have this sensation that, for months, I’ve just passed off as a mild headache. It’s always in the same region - the upper left, above my left eye. Throughout the day this dull pain can, in the only way I can describe, amplify from its source and spread further back on the left of my head.
However, I find that conventional treatment methods (such as over-the-counter drugs from paracetamol and ibuprofen) do little to rectify this.
Is there anything that you, if at all possible, could recommend?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any other symptoms?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do take Fluoxetine, 20mg daily.
As regards ***** ***** what I can say is that it feels like there is pressure behind my eye. I notice this more so when I’m working, though it does affect me while in school.
I, at times see bright, white flashes in my peripheral vision (only in the left eye) however, recently, in both eyes my peripheral vision has been “darkening.” I have been to regular (annual) optometry appointments but they have never suggested that there may be anything wrong.
The pain can “spread” along the left side, down to my neck. At times, I feel nauseous.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.

A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.

Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.

This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.

I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.

There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your response, and yes, it does make sense. Though, I have not experienced it, in any way you have described to such severity.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Glad I could help.

Have a good day.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks! If I do, I will.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 7 months ago.

Your Welcome.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS