Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

I have a bruise like feeling on the back of my head left

Customer Question

Hello I have a bruise like feeling on the back of my head left side when pressed it makes me feel sick and I now have a headache only left side round my eye and for head down round my ear and down my neck. I'm very worried
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

Sorry to know that . Any recent blow to the head or fall that you could recall ? Do you have a history of headaches or migraine in the past ? For how long have you had this pain / soreness now ? Do you notice any boils or bumps there ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had symptoms on the left side for 6 months like a pulling sensation round the eye and for head round my ear And down my back no need for medicine as pal isn't that bad. I can't notice any huge lumps I haven't hit my head. I feel like it's slightly effecting my vision and making me dizzy and feel sick. The tender spot is not on the top of my head but runs down in a line on the left side very tender like a bruise. When touched I make a my for head hurt and feel tight. Very scared.it also started hurting on it's own since I found it while washing my hair two days ago and have been pressing it to check it's going but it's not. I'm so scared I have something serious.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had symptoms on the left side for 6 months like a pulling sensation round the eye and for head round my ear And down my neck no need for medicine as pain isn't that bad. I can't notice any huge lumps I haven't hit my head. I feel like it's slightly effecting my vision and making me dizzy and feel sick. The tender spot is not on the top of my head but runs down in a line on the left side very tender like a bruise. When touched I make a my forhead hurt and feel tight. Very scared.it also started hurting on it's own since I found it while washing my hair two days ago and have been pressing it to check it's going but it's not. I'm so scared I have something serious.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had symptoms on the left side for 6 months like a pulling sensation round the eye and for head round my ear And down my neck no need for medicine as pain isn't that bad. I can't notice any huge lumps I haven't hit my head. I feel like it's slightly effecting my vision and making me dizzy and feel sick. The tender spot is not on the top of my head but runs down in a line on the left side very tender like a bruise. When touched I make a my forhead hurt and feel tight. It also started hurting on it's own since I found it while washing my hair two days ago and have been pressing it to check it's going but it's not. I'm so scared I have something serious.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had symptoms on the left side for 6 months like a pulling sensation round the eye and for head round my ear And down my neck no need for medicine as pain isn't that bad. I can't notice any huge lumps I haven't hit my head. I feel like it's slightly effecting my vision and making me dizzy and feel sick. The tender spot is not on the top of my head but runs down in a line on the left side very tender like a bruise. When touched I make a my forhead hurt and feel tight. It also started hurting on it's own since I found it while washing my hair two days ago and have been pressing it to check it's going but it's not.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have had symptoms on the left side for 6 months like a pulling sensation round the eye and for head round my ear And down my neck no need for medicine as pain isn't that bad. I can't notice any huge lumps I haven't hit my head. I feel like it's slightly effecting my vision and making me dizzy and feel sick. The tender spot is not on the top of my head but runs down in a line on the left side very tender like a bruise. When touched I make a my forhead hurt and feel tight.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

Sorry to hear about it . Migraines can present with such symptoms where the nerves carrying sensations become too sensitive and even light touch can cause / worsen the pain . This is called allodynia which is one of the migraine symptoms .

In absence of any other causes like local trauma or inflammation e.g boils ,involving one half of the head seems quite suggestive of migraine . Acute attacks of migraine can last anywhere between 4-72 hours and can be accompanied with nausea , vomiting & visual symptoms .

It can be worsened by bright light or noise as well as by touch as in your case .

I would recommend you to take medications for this . This includes simple pain relief like tylenol or naproxen . If the attacks are too frequent then you might need to take prophylactic medications like propanolol or topiramate or dosulepin .

You can seek professional help from a neurologist to help you further on the diagnosis .

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The pain is not that bad to even make me take paracetamol. It's more a sensation of pulling one side of my head and earache. The pain is when I press the tender spot which is very painful. I did not have a headache before I found the tender spot. The bruised spot isn't going. How long should this take to go. Again only when pressed do I have pain.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

I would recommend you to get it examined by your doctor to look for any signs of local inflammation . It should not be tender unless there is inflammation there . You mentioned before that it spreads tominvolve whole half of your head including ear and eye so it could be migraine if there is nothing remarkable at all on local examination .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What can cause the bruise type feeling and when should it go
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

Well burning feeling is more associated with herpes . Sometimes this can linger on even after the rash or lesions have subsided . It could be due to hair root infection called folliculitis . It depends on the cause really how long it may last . You should take an anti inflammatory and see if this helps it go away .

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not burning. Bruised feeling... the bruised feeling doesn't spread. I just get a tension feeling in the forehead left side after pressing it.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I don't have a rash... my left side of my neck is tender at the base of my skull the same side. Could this be a muscle causing the bruised feeling. I am worried and unsure if to pay to see neurologist.
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 11 days ago.

I am sorry i feel i cant quite figure it out . . Will opt out for another expert to help you on this .

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hello ?? I haven't had a reply yet and getting worried I have a tingling sensation on the left side of my head with neck ache and sore throat all left side. I have a sensation around my left eye like it's very fatugied. And slightly dizzy please reply