neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I had a basal ganglia hemorrhagic stroke 5-years ago which

Customer Question

I had a basal ganglia hemorrhagic stroke 5-years ago which has affected my left side.
I walk about 4,000 steps per day at about 2mph
From 18-months ago, I have been getting much more muscle tightness in my glutes, but then it can release my glutes and jump to my hamstrings, but mainly in my glute medius. The day after any exercise I get it worse. I am on 3 X 10mg baclofen tablets per day, I have tried more, but it doesn’t help. Occasionally I have a good day and I am able to walk much better.
Question:
• I do daily stretching, should I also try and strengthen the affected muscles?
• Is there anything else you can suggest to improve?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: 3 X 10mg baclofen. The GP does not know what to suggest
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, please read my note above
Category: Neurology
Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

Hello -

If you are having cramping into both thighs -- this isn't a result of your stroke.

I would ask your family doctor for evaluation of the lower back -- lumbar spine -- with MRI lumbar spine.

This is to rule out conditions like lumbar stenosis:

https://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Lumbar-Spinal-Stenosis

which can cause cramping in the legs, worsening with exercise.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

(If it were somehow related to your stroke, cramping/tightness in the muscles would only affect the left side).

Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My muscle issues only affect my affected left side. My unaffected side is still good.
i have had an MRI on my lower back and there are no issues at all. No impingments.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
You didn’t answer my question
Expert:  neurosurg replied 7 days ago.

OK.

Because your symptoms seem to start 3 1/2 years after the stroke, I would want to make sure that your doctor has ruled out other issues that could cause increased spasticity, and so if they have ordered MRI of the lumbar spine, also checking the rest of the spinal cord is recommended.

Then working with a physical therapist would be best -- and yes, strengthening and stretching of the affected muscles would be very helpful, as it seems to be exercise related.