neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I am getting sever headache from past 3 days. When I am

Customer Question

Hi Doc
I am getting sever headache from past 3 days.
When I am sitting down and I get up my head hurts so much that I have to hold onto it with both hands and press it, it makes heavy headed and dizzy.
This also happens when I am laying down with my eyes closed I feel sharp pain in my head all over, now it’s effecting my eyes too. Once my eyes r shut I feel less pain when I open then it gives me a thumping pain all over the head.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 days ago.

Hello -

How old are you?

Did this headache come on suddenly, or was it gradual?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m 29 female.... it just came suddenly, I woke up few day’s ago with it and at that time I thought it was a migraine or maybe normal headache it will go, so I been drinking plenty of water and resting it but now it’s getting to the stage where I’m having to hold onto my head when it pains.
Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 days ago.

OK, thanks.

It sounds as if you should get this checked out with your family doctor, who may ask that you go for a CT of the head.

If this is not your normal headaches -- and it came on suddenly and has remained severe for the past 3 days -- this is called a "thunderclap headache":

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17876-thunderclap-headaches

and it is important to rule out a bleed in the brain with these types of headaches.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 days ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What is thunderclap headache caused by? Why do you get these?
I have this feeling that my brain is heavy, blocking up like when u out your head under the water and come out it’s heavy like that.
Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 days ago.

It could be a severe migraine.

But if you've never had this type of headache before, it could be because of "subarachnoid hemorrhage", which needs to be ruled out with a CT of the head.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’ve never had this before, I have had migraines Before but not this pain before.
Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 days ago.

So please discuss with your GP and get checked out.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 8 days ago.