Dr, Mark
Dr, Mark, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years of medical practice in internal medicine
19706630

I am convinced I have MS with all my symptoms, but my

Hi, I am convinced I have MS with all my symptoms, but my neurologist just held my hand looked at my eyes and that was it. He sent me four a nerve conductive test on my wrist, and discharged me back to the gp. I feel stupid now to go back to my gp ad my symptoms are worsening.
Hi. What are your symptoms? Do they come and go?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they can come for about 3/4 days then goi for a few days to a week. But the numbness in my hands and fingers don't go away
Any weakness?
MS early on can be difficult to diagnose. Symptoms come and go. The workup consists of a brain mri, spinal tap and evoked nerve potential.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry I can't afford a phone call
Forget the phone call. That’s automatically sent out. We will just chat.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What did the nerve conduction study show?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It showed I have severe median nerve entrapment in my wrist
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But since this I have developed these numbness and tingling in my face and lips
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also get a vibrating feeling through my body when I walk.
That’s carpal tunnel syndrome. That’s treated with splints and sometime a cortisone shot. Occasionally it requires surgery. If the tingling hands is the only neurological problem that you have now, then it’s more consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome rather than multiple sclerosis.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
really sickly dizziness when I move my head
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did you get my other messages?
Dizziness is not common with multiple sclerosis. Since MSi s very slowly progressing and difficult to diagnose early on. I think it’s worthwhile treating the carpal tunnel and following you conservatively.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What about the numbness on my face and lips?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to give up work last October because I just couldn't concentrate on anything, I kept forgetting to do things, which got me frustrated and therefore, I forgot more. I was always exhausted and just wanted to sleep all the time. This led me to suffer from anxiety, and eventually depression, because I couldn't do a job I could easily do before. I wad in pain all the time with my shoulders, wrists, thumb and hip. Over three last 12 months it had just gotten progressively worse, where I am in more pain and the numbness is all over. I have a restless arm that I cannot get to sleep at night because of. When i wake up in the morning i roll out of bed with the pain in my lower back. And now the vibration sensation when I walk.
That’s consistent with MS. The workup is as I mentioned before. A brain mri and evoked potentials. Possibly a spinal tap. Early on MS is very difficult to diagnose. With varying symptoms, MS is a possibility. Then further workup is indicated
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But how do I get them to this conclusion, they are very intimidating and make me feel stupid. Do you know of anywhere I can go privately for these tests that do not cost the earth?
You need to explain al, of your symptoms to your gp. We know that MS symptoms come and go. Your gp has the responsibility to follow you and refer you back to the neurologist for further evaluation. I’d also ask to be referred to a neurologist that specializes in MS. If you saw a general neurologist, they are not as familiar with the early signs and symptoms of multiple sclerosis as a specialist is.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. I feel very alone at the moment, that nobody is taking me seriously. But I know my body, and before all this started I worked 70hrs a week looking after people with learning disabilities, and I loved my job. The fact that I could give it up for nothing is just not a possibility. I was a very strong individual who has worked 7 days a week since starting work at 16. And now I don't even feel like cooking or bathing.
I’m sorry to hear all the problems that you’re having. As I said, it’s important to follow up with your family doctor. With recurring different neurological symptoms the possibility of multiple sclerosis is real. It’s your family Doctor’s responsibility to refer you back to the neurologist to get the appropriate studies that I mentioned before.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for all your help. I wish you were my doctor. ��
You’re welcome. Sorry I’m not your doctor. If you have further questions in the future, I’m always available to help you. Just ask for me by name when you post your question. I’d appreciate you rating my answers with the stars on your screen so that I receive feedback and credit for my work. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I certainly will. Thank you Dr Mark.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I all you one more thing relating to it?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ask
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The last 2 weeks I have suffered a few times with extreme coldness when I get in bed. I can't warm up no matter what I do, or how many clothes I put on. I start shivering, but when I take my temperature it is 35.1-35.5°C. Is this related to what we were taking about?
That’s not related to MS.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh ok, just didn't know why it has started or what it could be.
Those symptoms are not typical for multiple sclerosis. Maybe you’re coming down with a viral infection?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks again
You’re welcome