Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Neurology, Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

My husband was prescribed Finasteride in Jan to reduce the

My husband was prescribed Finasteride in Jan to reduce the size of his prostate even though he had clinical depression in the 70's, he started to get depressed around May when his mother died, was prescribed Mirtazapine but it made him drowsy, he was then prescribed Sertraline and developed health anxiety culminating in five visits to A & E. The latest is he has Irrational anxiety, he believes border control is after him for throwing two half eaten buns at customs coming back from South Africa.
JA: The Psychologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. Has your husband taken Mirtazapine or anything similar before?
Customer: He took 15mg on 25 Jun 19 to 27 Jun 19.
JA: How has he been sleeping? Any insomnia or other issues?
Customer: Not sleeping as well as he used to, occasional insomnia.
JA: Anything else in his medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: He was a mental health nurse, then a mental health lecturer, retired 18 years ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask what your thoughts are about the situation? Do you have any specific concerns, in particular about the medications?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We are seeing his GP tomorrow at 9 a.m. The hospital that prescribed the Finasteride told him to stop it immediately when told about the depression on 19 Sep 2019. He weaned himself off the Sertraline on Doctor's recommendations after taking it for six weeks, last taken around 12 Oct. I'm thing of asking the GP for a B12 test. He has seen a Psychiatrist but was not very impressed with him as he seemed to be putting words into his mouth and his report indicated that he was not even listening properly. He has seen a CBT counselor three times but does not relate to him very well. I don't know what the next step should be, should we try another Psychiatrist or a Neurologist?

I agree with you that it will be important to perform some additional tests to exclude any organic cause for his symptoms:

- Blood test (Full blood count, Folate, B12, Renal profile, Liver profile, Calcium, Glucose/HbA1c, PSA)

- Urine sample (dipstick + MC&S)

- Head scan

The GP can easily arrange the blood/urine tests, however I expect he will need to see a (old age specialist) psychiatrist to organise the head scan (I advise to see this type of Psychiatrist rather than a Neurologist).

Does this help?

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Dr Ben, kind regards Maria

You’re very welcome, all the best.