Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I was in touch with one neurologist the other day but would

Customer Question

I was in touch with one neurologist the other day but would like a second opinion from one of the higher reviewed if possible.
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: im a 38 year old woman, normally healthy. Started having fasiculations in both calves in August. No weakness. I have seen a neurologist and my tests when I saw him in September were fine. I had an mri- clear and emg and ncs all fine. I am concerned about motor neurone. The twitches is still occurring and I often get short stay fasiculations in other parts of the body. My left arm does feel a little weaker but this was tested with the emg and ncs 6 weeks ago. I really need reassurance from someone who deals with mnd regularly as I am extremely worried that this is causing the fasics and what I think is a weaker left arm
Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Health is ok but I am worried about this and thinking something has been missed. I haven’t notice anything really affecting making it better or worse
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No but please put me in touch with a neuroloogist who has a large number of positive reviewed
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

This is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

bad anxiety disorder often can cause benign fasciculations and twitching of small nerves and muscles in the body

this is not a sign of MND

your EMG were normal

so you don't have motor neuron disease.

are you getting treatment for bad anxiety symptoms?

you need to drink more water and do some yoga. yoga and stretching and deep breathing exercises can help decrease anxiety symptoms and help decrease fasciculations

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But could the emg be wrong or the motor neurone disease develop? I’ve looked on the internet and some people have had normal results and then developed it
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I didn’t think I was particularly anxious but this is really worrying me. I have three young children
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

that is your anxiety making you worried.

EMG would not be wrong in early MND

MND would cause other symptoms as well

have you tried yoga and deep breathing exercises before?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Would you look over the report to make sure no borderline figures? I will try yoga
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
So an emg would pick up mnd even in Very early stages?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Have long have you been practising and do you have experience of mnd
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

yes, an EMG would pick up MND in early stages.

yes, i have experience in MND

MND is fortunately a very rare disease.

anxiety and benign fasciculations are very very very common symptoms

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Am I able to send my report so you can see if any of the figures are border line
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

yes, you can upload reports.

do you see the "Add file" link or " upload file" link?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
And fasiculations all over is normal and occasionally jerks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

fasciculations all over can be due to lack of stretching, not drinking enough water, tension and anxiety and tight muscles.

your emg is normal

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No border line figures?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

there is no boarderline figures suggesting early EMG disease.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok but could it still develop? What about my left arm/shoulder feeling weaker?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

no, it would not still be developing

you should be doing exercises, yoga, physical therapy to help strengthen your shoulder and your muscles.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I do weights and cardio? I will start yoga if that will help? Could the fasiculations in calf be a trapped nerve in back at all?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
In both calves I should say
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

no, trapped nerves would not cause that.

you need to drink more water and eat more fruits and vegetables which contain more potassium and magnesium which can help your muscles relax.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping after Positive Feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down see the ratings area)
You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are you a neurologist?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

I am a cancer doctor.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I really wanted to speak to a neurologist with experience of mnd specifically
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

I'm not sure if one is online at this point

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I did specify that when the secretary asked initially
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 days ago.

that was just a computer AI asking questions.

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-timupchurchmd/?rpt=3800

is a neurologist.

he may be online now.