neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I think I had a seizure but nobody was there to witness it

Customer Question

Hi, I think I had a seizure but nobody was there to witness it
Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not yet because I’m not sure if they will believe me. amitriptyline and codeine for pain.
Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have osteomalacia and fat pad syndrome in my knees (recently diagnosed). I have been dealing with this for a year now and the pain has a mind of it’s own but it’s constant. I just have more manageable days.
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Severe vitamin D deficiency. Slight iron deficiency anaemia. And after ‘seizures’ tingling in left side of face and left eye for a few hours.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  neurosurg replied 2 months ago.

Hello -

Do you think you lost about one hour in time here? After symptoms start, the next thing you remember was one hour later?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah not really sure what happened. I just felt a pins and needles sensation in waves going through my head and I woke up with neck pain and a bleeding tongue

When you woke up, was that seconds later? Or a hour later?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I’m not sure, my memory around it is fuzzy. I just remember when it started and how I woke up. I experienced it again last night and I woke up a few minutes after it began with jaw pain

OK, thanks.

This doesn't sound like a seizure, just from your description of it.

Most people wouldn't have any recollection of the events surrounding the seizure, and often would be "out of it" for more than a hour afterwards.

However, if it wasn't witnessed, it is really hard to know.

Certainly it is something you can discuss with your doctor, and if these episodes continue, getting EEG testing (to look for abnormal brain activity) can help to evaluate for possible seizures.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!