DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

I am very worried about symptoms I am having. I have had

Customer Question

I am very worried about symptoms I am having. I have had twitches in my body (all over... mostly legs but sometimes chest, tongue, face, feet, neck, arms and hands)... I have had some twitching before in 2013 and it subsided but did intermittently occur. It came back and became widespread in my body this August. Now this week I developed some tremors in my hands as well, particularly in my thumbs in both hands. The severity of these tremors is intermittent. I know that these are both signs of severe neurological problems as well as maybe anxiety or benign things. I don't think that I notice any significant weakness but my hands do sometimes feel stiff and one leg is shaky when I lift it but I only noticed this today. I can toe and heel walk and no foot drop. Also have been experiencing some pins and needles throughout my body, mostly on extremities and shoulders. Should I be concerned or is this likely BFS/anxiety related? It's very hard to get neurologist referrals in my job so I want to make sure it is necessary before I start going down that path.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks, am reading your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Yes the symptoms which are mostly motor nervous system could mean impending motor neuron disease. Benign twitches are sporadic and at only couple of places - not widespread.

First take vitamin B complex and E, calcium + magnesium supplements few days and see before trying for neuro referral. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could this possibly be due to anxiety? I have noticed it gets much worse when I am focusing on it, and when distracted the symptoms seem to go away
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could this possibly be due to anxiety? I have noticed it gets much worse when I am focusing on it, an
d when distracted the symptoms seem to go away
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
d when distracted the symptoms seem to go away. I am still able to run and do pull ups and other exercise at a level normal and comparable to what I usually do.

Yes the aggravation could be anxiety related, but you should get video monitoring during sleep to know if it is there during sleep or not. Avoid heavy exercise till diagnosis.