Caring Doc
Caring Doc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD , MBBS
25020506

Can I have the mirena coil when I take lamotrigine for

Can I have the mirena coil when I take lamotrigine for epilepsy
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
Mirena is a hormone contraception.It is established fact that the estrogen and progesterone effect the levels of lamotrigine in blood and lamotrigine decreases the levels of progesterone in the blood Although it is more with the oral pills ,but there are interactions with the Mirena as well.So it is recommended to opt for non hormonal IUD like Copper IUD and other non hormonal methods.
If you want to go for Mirena, you may need to adjust the dose of Lamotrigine.
So you should discuss with your gynecologist regarding best option for you but safest one in my opinion is non hormonal methods.
I hope it helps.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Many thanks. Is the effect of the mirena coil less than oral contraception/implant (or is the chance impact reduced); notwithstanding that there may be some form of impact.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have very heavy periods so I am keen to avoid the copper coil which risks increasing them. One of the key reasons for favouring the mirena is the likely reduction of the severity of my periods
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Accordingly, I don't want to discount it completely if the risk may be manageable. I will of course speak with my GP, but would be interested in getting an idea of the facts so that I am prepared for the conversation
Good morning. This is a controversial subject. Although the Mirena claims that the systemic absorption of hormone is negligible with Mirena,but the studies suggest opposite. Studies have shown a considerable systemic absorption and metabolism of levonorgestril inserted in the form of mirena.The levels were found to be equivalent to two mini pills taken together through mouth.
Keeping this thing in mind,if you will go for Mirena you will have considerable concentration of Levonorgestril in your blood and you will need to increase the dose of Lamotrigine to get the same effects that you had at lower doses.
I hope it helps.