Neurodoc
Neurodoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD, Trained in Neurology with special reference to developmental & behavioral disorders
239748

I have a question regarding benign fasciculation syndrome

Customer Question

Hello I have a question regarding benign fasciculation syndrome which a neuro here said I could have. In your experience does it stay fairly stable and doesn't progress much? The word 'benign' can be misleading. I so happen to be on a forum for bfs since last year and notice that it stays fairly the same for them. They don't have eyesight issues like mine though. On the other hand essential tremor (which is what doctors in Malaysia said I probably have) progression seems very hit and miss. For some it barely progresses over years but I have seen some within months they are shaking uncontrollably. You probably can't say much I understand but would like to know your experience are neurologists.My symptoms started with sudden blur/double vision which wasn't so bad 3 years ago...now I struggle with any sort of reading and opticians here say my muscles have weak accommodation for unknown reasons. I am only 31.Year after that I developed tremors in fingers and fasciculations and numbness in fingers at night all happens after. This has gone on for a year and only eyesight was worsened.Just got checked for Lyme as roughly around the same time I was bitten by something in the UK and the wound refused to heal for a year plus. Results in 4 weeks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neurodoc replied 7 months ago.

BFS is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that underlying serious neurological conditions have been ruled out.

By itself BFS has got a good prognosis.

The prognosis for those suffering from diagnosed benign fasciculation syndrome is generally regarded as being good to excellent. The syndrome causes no known long-term physical damage. Patients may suffer elevated anxiety even after being diagnosed with the benign condition. prescription anxiety medication may help.

Spontaneous remission has been known to occur, and in cases where anxiety is thought to be a major contributor, symptoms are typically lessened after the underlying anxiety is treated.

Please remember to leave a positive rating if you found the answer helpful as this is the only way we are compensated for the time and effort spent answering your question,
You can always get back for any clarifications even after rating me,
Warm regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. They diagnosed me of ET but I have severe accommodation issues with my eyes which happened suddenly . It is intermittent throughout the day but has affected my work life. I took the Lyme test to rule it out although it seems unlikely to cause it.
Expert:  Neurodoc replied 7 months ago.

Ok,

Well again that is a diagnosis of exclusion,

Traditionally, ET was viewed as a relatively benign disorder characterized by one symptom, tremor. However, ET can be associated with a variety of psychosocial issues and it can potentially significantly disrupt daily activities and social interactions. Consequently, the term benign was dropped from the name.

However, that being said, it is NOT likely to lead to any other serious neurological disease.

Treatment remains supportive and medicines like propranolol and myosoline can be useful in treating this condition.

Essential tremor isn't life-threatening, but symptoms often worsen over time. If the tremors become severe, you might find it difficult to:

• Hold a cup or glass without spilling
  • Eat normally
  • Put on makeup or shave
  • Talk, if your voice box or tongue is affected
  • Write legibly

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/essential-tremor/symptoms-causes/syc-20350534

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/essential-tremor/

Warm regards