neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

Would I get a diagnosis of bulbar onset mnd through an emg?

Customer Question

Would I get a diagnosis of bulbar onset mnd through an emg? If the tongue was tested? I had an emg in November due to calf fasiculations but I notice that my tongue is now quite scalloped and there is a dip o the right side so I worry it’s atrophy. I occasionally get a twitch in the tongue as well and it does often quiver within the mouth
Category: Neurology
Expert:  neurosurg replied 7 days ago.
If you indeed had issues with ALS, you would be having significant problems with swallowing and speech if your tongue was actually week. So I highly doubt that you have any issues with ALS here.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But the tongue looks weaker on the right hand side and when I look up images of atrophy is quite similar
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The emg tested the tongue but from research this does not prove very reliable
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
And the emg was in feb
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
In November
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
And what kind of speech issues?