neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon
206912

Would I get a diagnosis of bulbar onset mnd through an emg?

Would I get a diagnosis of bulbar onset mnd through an emg? If the tongue was tested? I had an emg in November due to calf fasiculations but I notice that my tongue is now quite scalloped and there is a dip o the right side so I worry it’s atrophy. I occasionally get a twitch in the tongue as well and it does often quiver within the mouth
If you indeed had issues with ALS, you would be having significant problems with swallowing and speech if your tongue was actually week. So I highly doubt that you have any issues with ALS here.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But the tongue looks weaker on the right hand side and when I look up images of atrophy is quite similar
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The emg tested the tongue but from research this does not prove very reliable
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the emg was in feb
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In November
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what kind of speech issues?

Hello -

You would have slurred speech, as the tongue and throat muscles would be weak.

You could also have swallowing issues.

So if you don't have any of this, you don't have ALS.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!