Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I have severe RLS and nothing

Hi there I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I have severe RLS and nothing seems to work. I don't know what to do but I'm getting very depressed, anxious, frustrated and angry. Could you please help me? Thank you!
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Just taking the pregnancy vitamins but my GP is afraid to prescribe something because they said there is not much medication to take for pregnant women
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not really, I'm not allergic to anything and my blood tests came back just fine
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: All good apart of this syndrome I've had developed since I got pregnant

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot. Have you had any blood tests to investigate this?

The main trigger for this in pregnancy is iron and folate deficiency which if low are safe to replace in pregnancy

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Good morning Dr Elliot, my name is***** you for your response. I had all the pregnancy blood tests which includes the iron as well and everything came back fine.

Thank you. The other thing that routinely wouldn’t be checked is your magnesium levels. It is worth asking if that was checked, and if not then repeat the blood test to include this.

The problem for RLS is that the medication that could be used potentially it teratogenic. So the risk of harm to the baby is thought to be too high to consider using the drug, hence the reluctance to prescribe this in pregnancy

I am only aware of either excluding deficiencies first, trial of stretches/leg massage etc

However I would suggest I would suggest if those do not help then you could ask to so be referred to the obstetrician to review this

They should be far better placed as would have seen this in others. They would therefore be more willing to try medication if needed

I am sorry that it isn’t a straight forward problem to address

This organisation have provided some interesting information, but any consideration of medication needs an obstetrician

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you! I will ask for it. I have tried stretching and massage but it didn't work. I'm quite desperate as I have been dealing with it for the past 2 months and I cannot believe there is nothing really that can help me and the baby.

Gosh, I am sorry to hear. Could you ask to see the obstetrician for this now?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.

That’s okay. I certainly don’t come across this often so will have a further read of some cases and if I see anything of use I will reply back to you via this.

Please could you kindly rate my response to your question, this helps me continue an appraisal and also credits me with relying to your question, thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help. Sure. Have a good weekend!

Thank you. You too