Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I'm taking 10mg of Allegron Nortriptyline. How will it take

Hi, I'm taking 10mg of Allegron Nortriptyline. How long will it take to take effect? I'm also taking Naprosyn. Is just used for pain or does it also work as a muscle relaxant? Thanks for your time.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Nortryptyline can start working in a week but you might feel full effects in 4 weeks' time. Naprosyn is an NSAID and is not a muscle relaxant rather pain killer like Ibuprofen.

If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the “Finish with Rating” button or selecting the 5 stars at the top of this page before you leave the website/app.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
First of all, I appreciate your help. I just have some questions about possible treatments for intense facial muscle pain. My facial muscles are incredibly contracted which causes me a lot of discomfort. I saw a neurologist two days ago and was prescribed Nortryptyline, Naprosyn and Magnesium. He wants me to take this medication for two months and if it doesn't help, he suggested botox injections. What other solutions are there for someone experiencing facial muscle pain due to intense contractions. Thank for your time.

After medications and botox you have an option of a nerve block, steroid shot or acupuncture and you can see a pain physician to discuss these options. But it is too early to jump to them and you should first give time for medicines to be fully effective.

My pleasure.

Please do not forget to click on 5 stars.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I understand that it's too early to tell but what exactly do you mean by nerve block? Is there anything that can help repair the muscle itself?

Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes the nerve branch supplying that particular muscle can be blocked to treat the pain. There is nothing much to repair the muscle.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
if a muscle has been damaged from being overactive it can't repair itself over time? Are there muscle relaxants that can be prescribed to relieve tension?

Yes, there are muscle relaxants that can be prescribed, and overtime, the muscle can repair itself also.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are there are other solutions such as physio therapy that would help relieve tension in the muscles in my face?

Physical therapy is done for large skeletal muscles. Which can be stretched between joints.

Most of the facial muscles are muscles of facial expression, there are no joints between their origin and insertion. So physical therapy isn't very promising.

TENS units are also not very successful, because of compliance and they are not very comfortable when applied on the face.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Final question. What muscle relaxants are most successful for dealing with intense contractions?

There are quite a few that work well.

Cyclobenzaprine, Baclofen and Tizanidine are very widely used.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would I be able to get those over the counter or would I need a prescription?

They are prescription only.

All muscle relaxants require a prescription.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. I'm going to give you five stars.

My pleasure.