neurosurg
neurosurg, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon
206912

I have been suffering for several months from nerve pain

I have been suffering for several months from nerve pain like a shooting pain and it is very sensitive to touch along the nerve on the side of my foot. It seems to be more painful at night and when my leg is up resting.I have tried freeze sprays and nurofen helps but I have had an ulcer a few years ago so do not want to take too many. I am awake for many hours in the night, What else can I do?
JA: The Neurologist can help. To begin, what seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling but i had a bunion removed from foot fourteen years ago and that is a bit stiff and has mild arthritis in it.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Neurologist should know?
Customer: I take cholesterol pills, blood pressure pills, HRT, Omeprazole and am fairly fit and play tennis etc

Hello -

Is this the outside (pinky toe), or the inside (big toe)?

Any pain elsewhere in the lower back, thigh, calf/shin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inside big toe down side of arch into heel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it wakes me at night with shooting pains

How about the inside of the ankle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not the inside of the ankle

OK, thanks.

Tarsal tunnel may be one possibility here:

https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/tarsal-tunnel-syndrome

where pressure on the nerve can cause pain into the bottom of the foot.

Also, it could be S1 nerve irritation coming from the lower back:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/sciatica/symptoms-causes/syc-20377435

although that also tends to cause lower back and leg symptoms, as well as the bottom of the foot type pain.