Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

I have Random shocks of pain in my check, i’ve had it

I have Random shocks of pain in my check
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: i’ve had it roughly a month now but before then the pain was coming less often Nothing triggers it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Good afternoon, I am Dr Elliot. Thank you for your question. Is this shock pain sensation in one cheek? If so, how often does it happen? does it feel tender over that area? is it worse when you eat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a shock sensation only in one cheek, it happens once a day to a few times a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not worse by eating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It feels tender in the area

Thank you, ***** ***** like Trigeminal Neuralgia

Read this NHS link and let me know what you think?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will it go away on its own
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve read about it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you suggest I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My GP haven’t helped

So in short, yes it is self limiting and will go away on its own. Opiates do not help if analgesia is required. What will help is a medication called Carbamazepine, this would need to be prescribed by your GP as it is a longer term medication and therefore would be difficult to get from an out of hours GP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, okay. When you say it will go away on it’s own, does that mean without medication? Is carbamazepine an antidepressant and what are the side effects?

Yes, it is self limiting, so will go away on its own. The Carbamazepine is used for neuropathic pain (shooting pains/nerve pain), side effects is mainly nausea but seems to be well tolerated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long do I need to take this medication?

The general rule for this medication is to continue the medication until you have had the symptoms controlled for a month.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about Amitriptyline

No evidence to support its use

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both medications are antidepressants - are there any other meds I can take?

Why can you not use this medication?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m worried that because the one you suggested is used to treat bipolar it may mess up things in my brain. Also, what does self limiting mean?

Okay, all neuropathic analgesics are antiepleptic medications or antidepressants. They also work well in nerve related pain. Self limiting means it will resolve on its own without any treatment.

Please rate my response if you wish to continue this conversation - I am happy to help, but you are asking a lot beyond the scope of your initial question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an alternative to taking this meds?

Thank you. Yes the only other option is Gabapentin or Pregabalin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do these ones do differently?

They do not do anything differently, they both work on neuropathic pain, but you take them much more frequently

This link will tell you about the treatment options, have a read of it and contact your GP or even an out of hours GP via 111 if it cannot wait.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question, what dose do you recommend for carb meds?

It is to be started at 100mg 1-2 times per day as a starting dose

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope I’m not disturbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just doing some research on the pain I mentioned and I wanted to ask about parasthesia or pinched nerve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I am well below the age of 50 or 50 I doubt it is Trigeminal. You said Trigeminal is self limiting but I’ve been seeing people say that it gets worse. Is this true?

Yes it can do, but it is still self-limiting. But people can go on medication for it for a few months. The main group would be older, but you do not have to be old to get it - this is relying purely on statistics, there is always those outside the normal curve.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m hoping that it can go away without medication is this possible?

Of course, but it can take some time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the pain is not excruciating like I hear others describe theirs, so on the basis of that, from your experience how long could that take?