Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Consultant Pediatrician at Kanchi Kamakoti CHILDS Trust Hospital
101124971

I want to get some clarity on whether I actually suffer from

I want to get some clarity on whether I actually suffer from migraines . In some ways I fit the stereotype but in other ways I do not
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: I find that I experience many symptoms of migraine such as nausea , dizziness etc but I rarely ever get the actual headache. I have only had the headache perhaps two or three times and more often than not they were very mild (hardly worthy of taking anything). I also don’t seem to get aura - never had any visual or sensory disturbances
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: never had any other health conditions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also find that unlike many other people - environmental or dietary factors have nothing whatsoever do with my attacks . I only get them around the time of my period and occasionally during ovulation. A few years ago I would get what I think were tension type migraines (no pain - just pressure all over my head and neck) along with nausea and sensitivity to loud noise. I was put on amitryptiline and it worked for years but since I’ve started experiencing these new types of attacks I have felt them returning a little
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also had a blood test, eye test & ear test earlier this year - none of them revealed anything
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello... I understand your concern.
I need some more information please.
1. Since how long have you had these symptoms?
2. Is there any dizziness so severe that you need to hold on to something when you feel dizzy?
3. Do positional changes (like turning head/ turning around/ standing from sitting) induce dizziness?
4. May I know your age and gender please?
5. Are these headaches associated with nausea and vomiting and if there is vomiting does the headache get better?
6. During the headache are you in an irritable mood?
7. Does sleep make the headache better?
8. Do flashes of light like you experience while driving at night because of oncoming vehicle lights or seeing TV in a dark room or stress, precipitate headache?
9. Is the headache always one sided or does it alternate?
10. Off late have you observed any weakness of any body part?
11. Are you currently on any medication?
12. Is there any personal or family history of migraine?
13.Is there any personal or family history of seizure disorder please?14.Does this head ache last only for few seconds with very high intensity or is it a dull nagging head ache going on for hours together?
Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you
Please answer my questions I will be holding on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. I first started experiencing these new types of attacks at the beginning of this year - it began with vertigo And nausea which lasted a few hours and was followed by a throbbing pain behind my left eye for two days and then just a feeling of general exhaustion and brain fog.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2. I had vertigo twice - once in January and once in February exactly a month later and I could not stand up during both of those episodes . I have since not had any more vertigo - just mild dizziness in which I can still stand up and walk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3. Sometimes, but very mildly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4. I am 25 and female
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5. I do experience severe nausea (which can last 2 days) but I have never vomited and I have never had a headache bad enough to warrant being sick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6. No I wouldn’t say so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7. I have found my symptoms always tend to be worse in the evening/at night but I don’t think sleep itself helps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8. No I have never experienced anything like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9. When I do get a headache it has always been behind my left eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10. I have never had any profound weakness or numbness in a particular body part - perhaps only very mildly in my left arm and leg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
11. I have been taking amitryptiline 10mg once a night for approximately 4 years for the tension type migraines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12. Yes - my grandmother suffered from migraines and so did my aunt but since reaching the menopause hers disappeared entirely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13. No not that I’m aware of
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14. When I have had it before it is a dull nagging pain that goes on for a while but goes away when I take paracetamol
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you still there?

I apologize, I was stuck with an emergency case. Please hold on I am typing my response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem

Have you been evaluated for vertigo and at any point of time has a neuroimaging been contemplated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I’ve been to the doctors a few times but they haven’t really done anything to help except suggest going on the pill but I don’t want to do that
Are you saying that even though you had symptoms from January you have never been put on any regular medication?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing . They gave me some pills to try and help the dizziness but it did nothing and then they suggested the pill but I don’t want to do that . They also gave me a blood test but it revealed nothing . Other than that nothing has been done

Hi... Thank you for getting back with the requested necessary information.

From your symptom analysis and correlating it with the history that I have gathered from you, I feel that you are having migraine without Aura.

As of now the best relief you will get is from Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg taken three times a day after food.

But if your headache is recurrent and is becoming debilitating then I suggest prevention will be the best way out and the best drug for that will be tablet Propranolol started at the dose of 10 mg per day and gradually increase to 40mg per day based on the treatment response.

But Propranolol is a prescription drug and you will require medical evaluation and doctors prescription for it.

The other option is Amlodipine.

In addition to these medications, please follow -

1. Good sleep hygiene of 8 hours of sleep per day.

2. Avoid certain food like high sugar content and caffeine before bed.

3. You may consider over the counter Melatonin 5-10 mg before bed may help both headaches and sleep as well.

Regarding the headache the other extremely unlikely possibility is benign intracranial hypertension.

May I suggest you discuss these possibilities with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank-you very much for your help. I will definitely take your advice and speak to my doctor again
I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.