Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

My father in law has been having trouble with what he calls

My father in law has been having trouble with what he calls 'pressure' in his head, dizziness, zings and zang noises and sometimes sharp stabbing pains when he lies down at night. He is 89 and under stress with his wife in a care home. These symptoms are getting so much worse and stops him sleeping at night. He's been given various sleeping tablets and anti depression tablets from the doctor. We feel that this could be neurological as he's struggling in other areas now like memory, now needs a stick to walk as he keeps falling over and often can't get the words out he needs to day.
JA: The Neurologist can help. To begin, is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Daily, much worse in the evening or if he hasn't slept, in the morning as well.No nausea that I know about.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your father-in-law's medical history the Neurologist should know?
Customer: He had a minor heart operation about 10 years ago due to severe palpitations to zap an extra node. Up to the last year he has been very fit and well, even helping his sons to re-roof a garage roof. You can understand our concern.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff. Thank you for your question. There could be a few things causing his symptoms, from a raised blood pressure, sinus involvement.

He really needs to be assessed for this, has his GP been contacted about this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dr Ruff. A Gp did originally give him some strong antibiotics for a sinus infection, then a second lot when there was only a slight improvement. After that course was completed they then moved over to various different types of sleeping tablets and antidepressants. All still to no avail. Could it be a more sinister problem that is not being taken into account?

Thanks, ***** ***** it could well be a chronic sinusitis which may be better managed with nasal steroid sprays or even oral steroids.

His mobility and memory may be related and further investigations would be relevant, such as an MRI head and some blood tests.

This does depend on what your father in law wants, though, at 89 he is certainly entitled not to investigate these

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oh good thanks. I will speak to Dad. So shall we request a course of steroids from his Dr or should he have automatically tried this as the next step?

Not really, it depends if anyone has informed them that the symptoms persist, they may prefer to prescribe nasal steroids to try first, but yes, give them a call tomorrow and ask

Discussed the memory as well, some simple blood tests can easily be done which may be of some help

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Perfect, many thanks for your help. All the best Debbie

No problem, please could you kindly click on the stars to rate my response