Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I’ve just spoke to a doc about my back condition with

Customer Question

I’ve just spoke to a doc about my back condition with constant muscles spasms which I can’t move. The hospital doctor says I’ve got a slipped disc which needs treating and 3 bulges in my discs. Which he says is to many to have for your spine to support. That’s why I get curvature of the spine with the chronic pain from the spasm and the narrowing of the disc canal which is compressing the nerves.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 19 days ago.

The following measures would be helpful;

1) Backcare in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important things which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activities helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when the back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities that increase pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided until the pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on the floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics, and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays/ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by the physical therapist. Other things are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Well supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or overweight, reduce weight for long term benefits.

9) Epidural steroid shots

10) Surgery is usually the last resort when the above conservative measures fail.

You may start these exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl-ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed/couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one set of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 18 days ago.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Sending good, healthy vibes your way.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.