Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

Palsy

Facial Palsy

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Please mention your health related query here.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Tuesday my left ear swollen and lump behind the ear.otomize ear spray prescribed
Wednesday pain in ear and on scalp around the ear.
Thursday  flucloxacillin antibiotics started.
Thursday night extreme headache started,unbearable head pain all night.
Friday afternoon I noticed my left side of the face is not moving.
I got panicked and went to A and E in the evening.They took test and done  CT and said the condition is Facial palsy and started:
Prednisone 5mg 5 tablets twice for 10 days.
Aciclovir 400mg every 5 hours for 7 days

Okay

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Do you have an experience of such conditions

A lot - across all age groups.

Both pediatrics and adults in my general practice.

More of in adults than in children.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
what are your thoughts
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
About my detailed message
I understand your concern and I am sorry for your symptoms.
I feel that this is a acute Bell's palsy.
The treatment has been going on perfectly fine and it is the regular course of treatment worldwide.But unfortunately some people recover very fast within few days and some may take even 6 weeks to 3 months for complete recovery.
Treatment response and recovery is very individual based and cannot be predicted by any means.I suggest you complete the course of treatment it and then your steroids will be stopped after which we need to wait for the clinical recovery.
Meanwhile you may approach physiotherapist for facial exercises for hastening the recovery.I would have been glad if you had uploaded a image to counsel you further.I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I read steroids works well if you use within 72 hours.
In my case ear infection started Tuesday.
Facial discomfort started Friday first dose of steroids took 10 am Saturday.72 hours starts from Tuesday
Or
Friday
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Secondly is herpes is the reason

Herpes is only a possibility as it cannot be ascertained for sure - anti viral therapy is always initiated to be on the safer side.

What you read is true - but it is not an all or none phenomenon.

I have seen cases recovering well even after steroids are initiated after 10 days too.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there is any blood test of herpes
Do you recommend me?
I never have any cold sores or genital sores.

It can be a childhood chicken pox too.

There are no specific tests and hence the treatment is started empirically here.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I read if herpes is the reason it is called rhs,and it longer for the patient to recover.
Ramsey hunt syndrome
How could I know if it is rhs?

Ramsay Hunt syndrome diagnosis is based on medical history, a physical exam, and the disorder's distinctive signs and symptoms. To confirm the diagnosis, your doctor might take a sample of fluid from one of the rash blisters in your ear for testing....it there any rash - but not a possibility here.

Dr.Sumanth,
Experience: