Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

MY husband with PD for 12 years, shows early impaired

MY husband with PD for 12 years, shows early impaired cognitive functions. Has difficulties in articulate the words, and promptly he forgets the point he wanted to say. He is aware and feels depressed. What should I do? Request an earlier appointment with the specialist. How quickly should I expect to deteriorate. The GP practice is not very helpful .
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: The question is about my husband. He has No headaches. Still he coordination is OK and balance. Slow but OK.
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your husband's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: His other main symptoms are Bloating and shortness of breath.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us this afternoon.

I am sorry to hear your husband is feeling depressed.

You should normally be able to discuss this with your GP, but if you are able to contact your specialist then yes, I would ask them for an earlier appointment. Often there is a Parkinsons Nurse Specialist, do you have their contact number?

Parkinsons certainly does have some associations with depression and cognition and therefore it is certainly very important to address. If you can get a review of your husband and discuss options including antidepressants and medication to assist with cognition then this would be ideal.

I would contact your GP to start the process but also contact your Parkinsons team.

I think given the bloating and shortness of breath your husband is going to need a more thorough review, so please do contact your GP soon than later to arrange this.

Please feel free to ask any questions.