Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff, GP
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I had a nerve study test and emg on ulnar nerve which showed

Customer Question

I had a nerve study test and emg on ulnar nerve which showed damage to the ulnar nerve at the elbow. The doctor doing test did it twice then a senior doctor did it again because they thought the results were unusual. They showed damage to motor function but not to sensory. I do have constant numbness to little and inside of ring finger and palm and front of hand on ulnar side. The numbness isn't severe enough to stop all sensation it just feels different. Damage to nerve caused by fall last December, small fracture to hand as well. The doctors didn't explain why the results were unusual and I'd really like to understand. They said damage would usually be to both motor and sensory but didn't explain why or what it means for my injury
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Doctor/hospital has all my medical records
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have extreme cold sensitivity in hand since accident as well. Nerve studies were last week
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 13 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

I am sorry to hear this. The EMG is a study which monitors the speed of an impulse, slower compared to normal implies there is something described as a lesion or impingement.

A nerve being pressed at the elbow or wrist could cause this, and therefore doesn't specifically imply there is nerve damage.

I would suggest you consider an MRI to assess this further.