Dr, Mark
Dr, Mark, Board Certified MD
Experience:  30 years of medical practice in internal medicine
19706630

Are eye floaters ever a sign of a brain problem? No? No

Are eye floaters ever a sign of a brain problem?
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: No?
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Hello. I am Dr. Mark and happy to assist you today. I am a board-certified physician. How long have you had the floaters? How old are you?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I suffer with extreme health anxiety and have recently noticed an increase in eye floaters, I had an I depth eye test a month ago and no issues detected I am 31
Thanks for providing the additional information. Eye floaters are spots in your vision. They may look to you like black or gray specks, strings, or cobwebs that drift about when you move your eyes and appear to dart away when you try to look at them directly.Most eye floaters are caused by age-related changes that occur as the jelly-like substance (vitreous) inside your eyes becomes more liquid. Microscopic fibers within the vitreous tend to clump and can cast tiny shadows on your retina. The shadows you see are called floaters.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Should I not be as worried as I am about them?
Eye floaters have nothing to do with a brain problem so no need to worry about that. Floaters can be caused by a retinal detachment or a posterior vitreous detachment. If you have noticed a new onset of these floaters since your eye exam you should see the ophthalmologist once again.
Have the floaters appeared since your last eye exam?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I had a couple at my eye exam but there are a few more since...they seem to almost be in a film across My vision when I move my eyes but some days I notice them more than others
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also are hypnic jerks related to brain issues or might that be anxiety? My gp doesn't seem concerned when I mention it.
I would see an ophthalmologist to be examined again. Just don’t want to miss a retinal detachment. That will cause more floaters. The hypnic jerks are not related to a brain problem. We all get them. A hypnic jerk is an involuntary twitch of one or more muscles that occurs as a person is falling asleep. It tends to happen just as the person is transitioning from a wakeful state to a sleeping state.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. Is it normal to get multiple hypnic jerks before falling asleep properly? Can anxiety exacerbate all this? I've read about physical symptoms but it's hard to believe it can affect me this way.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Also sorry for my babbling but if it was retinal detachment would it have worsened by now? As this has been going on for approx 3 weeks.
You’re welcome. These hypnic jerks are quite common that we all get and having several before falling asleep is not a problem. If you have a lot of anxiety at bedtime it’s possible that it could cause more of these hypnic jerks.
I doubt that you have a retinal detachment but that requires a dilated eye exam. They can remain stable or progress when one does occur. Did you see an ophthalmologist or an optometrist?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I seen an optometrist and they did the OCT scan of the back of the eye
The optometrist would have detected a retinal detachment. But to answer your original question, eye floaters are usually benign and not related to a brain condition.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much for helping to put my mind at rest. From what I've said today you don't think I need to be pleading for a brain mri or anything?
You’re welcome. I’m glad I could help. There’s nothing wrong with your brain and no need to get an MRI.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Assuming that the previous eye appt would have picked up retinal detachment etc and the floaters are just normal will I have them forever now or do they tend to fade? Apologies I am trying to stay away from good
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
google
Eye floaters become less annoying and prominent as time goes on. They don’t actually disappear but you will not notice them as frequently as you do now.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much this conversation has really helped me anxious self
You’re welcome.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I check one other thing with you?
Sure
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Every now and then I get like a really strong pulsing/thronging near to my right temple, almost like a 'nerve going' sensation sometimes it's a one off and sometimes it lasts on and off for a few hours, again my gp wasn't concerned but it unsettles me do you think it's something I need to take further?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
throbbing
It might be a partial migraine. I can’t think of any serious condition that would cause that.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** migraines with aura but when this pulsing happens there is no pain.
You’re welcome. Migraines can occur without pain. That’s common.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK thank you so I needn't be worried about an aneurysm with this symptom?
No need to worry about an aneurysm.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help today
It was my pleasure to assist you. Take care.