Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

As a result of a CT scan it was determined that I had aa

Customer Question

As a result of a CT scan it was determined that I had aa small chronic subdural haematoma. two months later I was admitted overnight after a follow up scan revealed an acute on chronic SDH. I have had no symptoms. For driving purposes my doctor says that the SDH has to be viewed as spontaneous. I am trying to establish what I should or should not be doing.
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

Good afternoon, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

I am very sorry to hear of this. For Group 1 (car), for a chronic subdural, or acute on chronic, If treated surgically or not, you must NOT drive, and must inform the DVLA. They deem recovery is when you can drive, so likely to require a medical to assess for this.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Hello - I am keen to work out what I should be doing given that I have had an apparently spontaneous SDH
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/neurological-disorders-assessing-fitness-to-drive

Here is the current government website which documents this in regards ***** *****

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'm aware of the guidance regarding driving but I don't appear to be able to get any information as to why the SDH may have occured or what I can do to prevent it happening again.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

I see, my apologies. So with a spontaneous subdural, it tends to be from cysts, vascular lesions, often structural causes or trauma. Intracranial hypertension is also a cause.

Therefore any vascular improvement is the main benefit, so controlling your own Blood pressure if it isn't, controlling vascular risk factors such as not smoking, reduce weight if over weight, reduce cholesterol if raised. These are the main factors you can control.

The reason you cannot get much information, is essentially down to a lot of unknowns, hence why we can only manage possible risk factors. Your imaging would have suggested if there was an obvious malformation that could have caused it.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. I can now decide whether to wait 18 weeks for a follow up consultation.
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 20 days ago.

Thank you. All the best with your recovery.