Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

For 9 months now, crawling sensation on top head and on

Customer Question

For 9 months now, crawling sensation on top head and on outside of right arm.
Sharp pains on top of head left side
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age?

Any conditions like diabetes?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
26 years old
No conditions like diabetes
Worried about Brain tumor
Some times symptoms go away for a week or 2 but then they come back

Thank you for the reply. Please hold on while I type out your answer. This can take a few minutes.

Such crawling sensations in various parts of the body are called Paresthesias.

The different types of abnormal sensations that are experienced include crawling, tingling, pricking, shooting, burning or numbness. You are having crawling sensation. They may occur in a patch of skin or over a whole limb. Although more common n the limbs, they can occur on a patch of skin anywhere in the body including the head, face, thorax, etc.

Paresthesias occur due to a sensation in the nerves. This can occur due to electrolyte imbalance, diabetes, thyroid disorders, stress, anxiety, aging, etc. For you the most likely cause is stress and anxiety. There could also be some associated electrolyte imbalance.

There are various ways to treat Paresthesias. You should take the following steps at home:

Have a lot of electrolyte fluids like Gatorade.

Vitamin supplements: take Vitamin B and Vitamin E supplements which are available at all pharmacies.

Avoid smoking, cut down on alcohol, cut down on caffeine

High fiber diet -vegetables, fruits, non processed meat and fish - be sure to take nutritious diet

Avoid fatty fried foods

Maintaining regular bowel movements at fixed time

Regular hours of sleep

Regular exercise - take 30 minutes of walk 5 times a week.

Treating stress and depression: if you are having any stress and depression you should discuss this with your doctor. See your Family Physician / Primary care physician and ask about stress/depression which can set off this health anxiety. Anti anxiety medicines will benefit you greatly - ask for them.You can also ask for a salivary stress test which will determine the cortisol levels which can determine your level of stress. Such stress tests can also be done as a home test - look it up.

If these steps do not help, you need to consult your doctor for this if your symptoms persist. Medicines like Gabapentin and Lyrica are given for this, discuss this with your doctor.

But generally these steps are sufficient in most cases.

Hope I have been able to clarify the situation for you and helped in resolving your query.
If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.
Thank you and I wish you the best of health - stay safe!
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I’m not stressed and don’t have anxiety.
I have been on amitriptyline for 4 months but it has not worked

In that case you should approach your GP.

Medicines like Gabapentin or Lyrica work well for this.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Should I be worried about Brain tumor? Google says my symptoms match

Not at all. Your symptoms do not at all match those of brain tumours.