Tim Brown
Tim Brown, GP
Experience:  GP in Sussex
108371854

Knees feel stiff and spasms in legs all day. What could be

Customer Question

Knees feel stiff and spasms in legs all day. What could be wrong?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 19 days ago.

Good evening, I am Dr Ruff, thank you for contacting us today

Expert:  Tim Brown replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear this. How long have you had this? And which muscles are the spasms happening in?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I’ve had the spasms for a day and a half now. It’s in both my knees and calf’s. When I walk it becomes very stiff feels like they’re locked
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I had pain in my lower back and my buttox cheeks went numb and my legs felt strange yesterday and went to a&e where they did a ct scan of my head which showed nothing and bloods which were fine I’m waiting on an mri at home currently.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I get neck pain in the back of my neck which comes on and off all the time. It’s all Been happening now for almost a
Month. The lower back pain also comes on randomly but I have facial stiffness too but the doctors say it’s unrelated
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 19 days ago.

Okay thanks. As per the knee stiffness, if this is only over a day and a half, this is likely muscular in cause. Knee stiffness is not neurological, it implies inflammation.

I wouldn't worry about this, take some ibuprofen and do some leg stretches.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok what about the spasms?
Expert:  Tim Brown replied 19 days ago.

This can be from muscle fatigue. As it has only been 1-2 days I would see how it goes. You have an MRI planned in case you are concerned about something neurological, but I wouldn't suggest that is indicated for these particular symptoms at this point, but if you already have it arranged then may still be useful to reassure you.