Dr.Shakeel Ansari
Dr.Shakeel Ansari, Neurology Specialist
Experience:  Post Graduate Diploma Clinical Neurology
111828307

My mum (aged 76) contracted transverse myelitis about 3

Customer Question

My mum (aged 76) contracted transverse myelitis about 3 years ago. She was treated with steroids and physio and after a month in hospital,was disccarged. She was left with a dull ache in one leg and some loss of sensation in her feet. Recently she has become concerned as her legs ache every day and she often itches all over. She has had faeces coming through her vagina on 3 occasions in 6 months. A colonoscopy was normal. Should she see a specialist?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: Nurofen
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your mother's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No. Before this she was very fit and healthy.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today. We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

To answer your question directly:

Yes, I would strongly recommend that she seek a specialists care.
I would start with a neurologist and then see a surgeon for the issues with the feces in her vagina.

Does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I hope she feels better soon.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have my mum with me today. I am wrong about how long ago she had TM diagnosed - it was six years ago. Is there any chance of a Skype today?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

Unfortunately I don't have skype on this system :(

We could do a phone call if you would like.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Your details say you are a 'retina specialist'. I'm looking to talk to a neurologist.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

OK.  Sorry about that.

I will opt out so that a neurologist can assist you.

Have a good weekend.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Where are you based? I'd like to know your name and to google you properly before I agree to anything like that.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 17 days ago.

I have removed myself from your question so that a neurologist can assist you.

Please do not respond to me on this thread so that your question will stay unlocked for all available neurologists.

Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer for your query, this is Dr Ansari Welcomes you.

As you have mentioned, your mum had Transverse Myelitis 6 years ago and she is partially improved but still, residual symptoms are there. Something which you said about ( She has had faeces coming through her vagina) is worrisome. This is rectovaginal fistula. You need to see a gynaecologist for this or a general surgeon.

The aches and numbness are residual symptoms of transverse myelitis may respond to medicine like pregabalin

Her itching can be due to some skin allergy kindly see to this with a Dermatologist

Expert:  Dr.Shakeel Ansari replied 15 days ago.

Please let me know if this was helpful and whether I can assist you further. I am always happy to help!