Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

My father had brain surgery to remove a tumor a year ago, He

Hi, my father had brain surgery to remove a tumor a year ago, He had several fits before and after. He has been on anti siozure meds for some time and has now had another fit 2 weeks after stopping the meds. How long should he continue to use these anti seizure meds after the operation
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your father's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Hi, thanks you for getting in touch, I'm really sorry to hear about the last year for your father, you and the family. It must have been really hard. In terms of his recent seizure, really it's treated like a 'traditional' epileptic patient where medication really needs to be taken until around 2 years since the last seizure unless of course there is an issue with medication side effects or similar issue. Otherwise at 2 years post seizure we would look at discontinuing gradually the dose of anti epileptic medications and seeing if we could do without altogether potentially. I hope that helps with your question. Ultimately your neurologist will be trying to use the lowest dose of the safest anti-epileptic medication to keep things at bay until they can wean off as you know. I hope he feels better and thing stabilize. You're doing a great job and I sincerely ***** ***** the best knowing how hard it can be.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your response. Just to add as time has been had to recall through covid. It has in fact been 2 years now since the op. He hadn't had any medical reviews for over a year and it was he that just decided to stop taking the meds 2 weeks ago as he felt very well. Would you also know the king term survival rates of lymphoma. All the best.

Hi, I think it's fair to attempt a wean off of the anti-epileptic drugs given it's been 2 years but this really should be gradual and usually under the supervision of a neurologist but sometimes a GP is able to do this also. It is a little disheartening that your father hasn't been reviewed in so long and I know it's due to the pandemic but certainly not ideal and I would consider asking the GP to send a note to the hospital asking for a review appointment to be made. Generally speaking 5 year survival is around 80% but that is a general number and I can't personalize it to your father without access to all of his records etc. So the best person to answer that would be the neurologist and/or oncologist involved in his care. I hope that all makes sense and is helpful. All the very best.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

You're very welcome, come back if you've further questions. All the very best.