Dr Geyik, MBBS
Dr Geyik, MBBS,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

I have a condition called Molleret meningitis. Two attacks

Customer Question

Hi. I have a condition called Molleret meningitis. Two attacks in the past three years, both 3 weeks in hospital each time. I'm getting paranoid every time I get some symptoms. The first time I had it, the recovery was okay because I was told I would never get it again, and I could just tough it out. But this time, the psychological aspects are difficult. At the moment I have a stiff neck, a slight headache, some very low-level nausea, and some dizziness and a lack of cognitive clarity. However, I very recently got the news that my mother has six months to live, and my stress levels are high. At what point should I be presenting to A&E for further tests? I can't go every time I get a headache or a stiff neck (I do get a stiff neck quite often due to working on computers).
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Geyik, MBBS replied 16 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Regardless of you having Mollaret meningitis, in view of your current symptoms I feel that you SHOULD attend A&E now for full assessment and to ensure there are no other serious causes or complications.
If you’re alone or feel unwell, you should call 999 just in case.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The problem is that the side effects of meningitis are very similar to the symptoms. I'm not alone. I would be presenting to A&E every couple of weeks if I went for these symptoms. It's just very difficult to know where to draw the line. The nausea has now gone and the headache is easing off, so I'm thinking to wait and see. What do you think?

That sounds reasonable. But if you get more severe headache or dizziness, vomiting, fever, rash, confusion, change in your speech/face/vision or any weakness in your arms/legs on one side, you should call your GP, 111 or 999.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I get dizzyiess all the time since my first bout of meningitis. It's like an after-effect. So if I vomit, I should present to A&E, or would that be in combination with one or more of the others?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are you a neurologist or a GP?

I am a GP.

You need to look at your symptoms as a whole; if you have worsening or new symptoms and you don’t feel right, you should call someone for assessment. This could be your GP or 111. If you become very unwell, you need to call 999.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I wouldn't class myself as very unwell at the moment. If you're a GP, can I show you a photo of my throat and get an opinion? There is a lump there I've never noticed before.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That's been there for a couple of week. Not sore at all. Sometimes feels like a bit of food stuck there. It's new. Never seen anything like that before. I do sometimes have issues with my tonsils (white spots, swelling, etc.), but this is not that, and seems to be just above the tonsil.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is that anything to be concerned about?

I’ve seen the picture now.

Are you sure it was not there before?

Do you have any sore throat, new pain, fever, cough, earache, etc?

This could just be a prominent tonsil. It doesn’t look like malignant or tonsillitis to me.