Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

I have been experiencing muscle twitching for the past 5-6

Customer Question

I have been experiencing muscle twitching for the past 5-6 weeks and it seems to be spreading all over my body and becoming more frequent. Should I be concerned that this is anything major? I have become quite anxious that it could be something serious.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have spoken with the doctor yes, but I am looking to speak with a neurologist
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have suffered with long term anxiety but have never experienced twitching up until 5-6 seeks ago. I only drink one cup of coffee each day and have no other caffeine based food or drink. I haven't exercised strenuously for a while either.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Shahid Karim replied 17 days ago.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about what's been going on. Can you describe the twitching a bit more? Does it affect one side more than the other? Do you have any medical problems and how old are you? Finally do you have any regular medications that you take? Thanks

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Shahid. The twitching seems to occur more on my left side but it has also been frequent on my right side at times. Earlier today my knee was twitching with regularity for around 30 minutes, but there seems to be twitching somewhere in my body most of the day. I've experienced it in my arms, legs, eck, feet, hands and back. I am 34 with no medical problems that I am aware of and I take Citilopram 20mg for anxiety every two days. The only other medical issue I've had recently is bloating (normally when anxious once or twice per week maximum) and brain fog / mental fatigue (lasting up to 24 hours) after moderate to high intensity exercise. I've had numerous blood tests taken for the brain fog / fatigue and everything has come back as normal.

I see, thanks for that information it's really helpful. I would suggest that it's likely nothing and can sometimes be stress related but it's always wise to be sure and so I'd ask your GP to refer you to see a neurologist who can examine you in person and request a test called nerve conduction studies to make sure that your nerves are working ok. I would try not to be too concerned as it's genuinely likely innocent and in most cases will just pass on its own but getting the nerve test done will give that extra reassurance.