Neurodoc
Neurodoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD, Trained in Neurology with special reference to developmental & behavioral disorders
239748

My husband went on a two stags within 2 months of each other

Hi. My husband went on a two stags within 2 months of each other two years ago and had a alcohol withdrawal seizure after them. He had an MRI scan but nothing showed. In the last 4 months, he has had one seizure a month (sometimes 2 seizures in one day) which did not follow a major drinking event bit coincided with work stress and fatigue. He his quite a heavy drinker and been drinking fir a number of years. Any advice would be helpful. Is he an alcoholic epileptic and basically needs to cut the alcohol to reduce future seizures? Thanks
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Gupta and I can help you today. I'll be back in a moment with my reply!

I am sorry to hear that, certainly stopping alcohol is important in preventing recurrent seizures,

On the other hand, treatment with AED may be needed for some time at least and further tests like EEG and MRI are needed to decide the same too,

Warm regards

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you. He is 55yrs and no history of epilepsy
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How long is the call for £34

I understand, but at least a couple of seizures have been unrelated to alcohol,

As I said, further tests may be indicated to prevent a severe seizure,

Warm regards

There is no specific time limit for the call,

Warm regards

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
OK. Will he need more than an MRI scan?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Sorry just seen your first response. Thanks

An MRI and an EEG are standard tests that are recommended in this situation,

Talk to the neurologist about the need for these,

Warm regards