Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

I have crps in my left arm. I got a nerve block a week ago

I have crps in my left arm. I got a nerve block a week ago and i dont feel any different whatsoever. It has had no affect at all. Can this tell you anything about my crps.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont think so.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about your pain and the lack of apparent benefit from the nerve block. It may be that the treatment hasn't worked for you personally or that it didn't manage to affect the nerve in question adequately for you and sometimes needs trying again. It's often very difficult to get to the exact area needed and can sometimes take more than one attempt. In the meantime we should be trying to get your symptoms under control with things like medications such as Gabapentin or Pregabalin or Duloxetine all of which work very well. Otherwise it's important that you're reviewed by the person who tried the nerve block as well so that they can decide with you whether it should be tried again or not.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Im on gabapentin and lyrica. Also vivomo. All they do is make me feel nauseous. I think the lyrica is the only one that helps some. But can i ask if your getting a nerve block is it normal to have no difference in feeling. Im not just talking about pain reduction but surely there should be some reaction.

It may mean that they didn't actually reach the nerve you see. It's a bit like aiming at a small target, sometimes they can miss and it has no effect as they medication didn't get where it needed to be hence the review by the person so they can decide if they should try it again.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Great thanks i thought id feel something, some kind of numbess. I felt painful pulse when they put in the needle but after i wondered if it was a placebo as felt no difference at all.

I suspect it just didn't 'hit the mark' so would need trying again, it's a really small target they're aiming for so a miss is always likely. You're very welcome, glad I could help if even a little. All the very best for the future.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.