Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Balance problems walking, leg Co ordination, diabetic taking

Customer Question

balance problems walking
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: leg Co ordination
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: diabetic taking insulin
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience and I am happy to work with you on this.

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and gender?

How long have you been having these symptoms?

Have you seen a doctor for this? Any tests done?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
60, male, had symptoms since November after COVID, not hospitalised, had ears and eyes checked. egg. and due head mri

You should go for a check up for this.

There are many conditions which could cause such imbalance:

Ear conditions: several inner ear disease like labyrinthitis, vestibular dysfunction, BPPV, etc. can cause imbalance.

Cerebellar causes: degenerative changes or other lesions of the cerebellum can also cause such changes.

Stress: stress is one of the prime causes of imbalance

Infection: you could be having a low grade infection like a viral fever, a UTI, etc

Low BP: Fall of pressure in a person can cause such imbalance. Rise of pressure or hypertension can aslo cause imbalance.

Neurological conditions: conditions like Multiple sclerosis, stroke, TIA, etc. may cause you to have such symptoms.

Diabetes: conditions like diabetes need to be ruled out.

Thyroid condition: conditions like low thyroid hormones can cause you to feel like this.

Cardiac conditions: you need to have a cardiac checkup to rule out any cardiac condition.

Kidney conditions: kidney conditions may also cause this.

You need a thorough check up to rule out all these conditions. You should ask your doctor to go for a physical and have these issues checked for.

All cases of imbalance need to be checked up immediately in case it is due to a serious cause. Hence you should approach your doctor ASAP.

You should also be aware that anxiety is the most common cause of such imbalance. Sometimes we tend to get fixated on a particular symptom and this excessive thinking about that symptom can in fact make that symptom appear. It could be mental in origin and not physical. If you are having anxiety, you should discuss this with your doctor and ask for anti anxiety drugs.

Meanwhile you can do the following rehabilitation exercises which will help with the imbalance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3Zd95PzDk

Ear conditions need to be examined by an ENT and ruled out as they are the commonest cause of imbalance.

Hope this resolves your query. If you need more help, just write back here so l can continue to assist. Stay safe!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
thankyou, I do find that if I havea couple of beers my condition is alot more severe. had all my blood works done, and doctor checked ears.

Yes, that is due to dehydration.

You should do the balancing exercises, this will help you greatly. Do them regularly everyday, you will be much better within weeks.