KemalG
KemalG,
Experience:  Expert
113018656

Having very bad symptoms and think it might be related to

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Having very bad symptoms and think it might be related to nerve damage
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Well yes. It started with right side groin pain and testicular pain. I then started getting weird popping sensations and the feeling that liquid was moving all over my lower body. The pain/discomfort is very bad and I'm wondering what could be causing this. I spoke with 4 different doctors. One thought hernia but couldn't find a hernia. The others thought probably not a hernia but maybe an infection. But my antibiotics they gave me have done nothing to help. I have no pain in my lower back but it seemed like it might still be a nerve suppression issue.

Hello. This is Dr Geyik and I will be assisting you today.

Can I please ask your age/gender and if you have any other medical conditions or allergies, or take medications?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi. 31 male. 186cm. 84kg. No conditions or allergies

Have you had any trauma or injury? Any lumps/swelling anywhere, fever, vomiting, bleeding, diarrhoea/constipation, numbness, tingling, unusual new pain anywhere, etc?

And do you still have the going and testicular pain?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had constipation breifly but I think that was from the co codamol I was taking for the pain. And yes had weird tingling all over my body pretty much! But mainly in my legs. The weird feeling of liquid flowing over me where there isn't any. No bleeding, no swelling, no blood in urine. No fever

Have you had any tests or scans?

And why do you think it could be nerve damage?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No, I've been waiting for an ultrasound for aaaages. Because I'm getting what I assume is weird refered pain in these areas. There's no damage to my groin or testicles yet they are very painful. And this feeling of liquid and mini spazms I'm getting seems like it might be sciatica or something. But strangely I have no pain in my lower back
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
All my blood and urine work came back clean. And all my vitals are normal

Do you have any new pain anywhere else? Any headache, dizziness, confusion, muscle wasting or weakness, unusual rashes, etc?

And have you been eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No nothing like that. I had a couple of panic attacks, but outside of that no. I just got a jab of pain out of nowhere in my right foot. Stuff like this is happing all down my right leg randomly sometimes.

Have you had panic attacks or anxiety for a while or just recently?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No only when I started getting scary symptoms, it made me freak out. Never had them before.

Your symptoms are non-specific and they don't point to one specific diagnosis. It is very reassuring that your blood and urine tests were normal.

If you are stable at the moment, you can wait for the ultrasound scan. And you can take painkillers for any pain you get.

If you want to have a scan earlier, you can consider going privately but this could be a bit expensive.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Understood. Do you think they are back related? Or what things do u think could most likely be causing this? I understand that u can't know without scans, but I'm at a loss. I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to have an MRI or a ultrasound first

I don't think they are back related.

Initially, I thought your symptoms could be due to vitamin deficiencies such as B12, folate or vitamin D but you said your blood tests were normal and I assume your GP checked those.

If you had any Covid-19 vaccines, there is a possibility of side effects.

MRI is a better scan but more expensive so NHS usually does ultrasound first.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yeah I actually had 2 sets of blood tests and there were no comments about anything negative.Yes I am double vaccinated but second one was a long time ago now. Is there a description for this side effect? And if it was a side effect, is it curable?Any reason why you don't think it's back related?Thanks!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also, do u think it could be a hernia? 4 separate doctors couldn't find one, but some of the symptoms seem similar

Covid-19 vaccinations do cause non-specific symptoms and I thought it could be that but since you had the vaccine long time ago, it is unlikely. If that is the cause, yes the symptoms would be temporary.

Back issues do not present in this way.

If it was a hernia, your doctors would have palpated it in their examination.

There could be hydrocele (fluid accumulation) or varicocele (enlarged veins) in your testicles but your GP would have also suspected that and ultrasound scan would pick these up. These are benign conditions.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hmm interesting. I was given Ciprofxacin by the hospital who thought it was an infection (despite the negative blood tests). Been taking for 3 days. After day 1 I felt a huge improvement, but perhaps it was just a coincidence because I've not had any improvement on days 2 and 3. I will keep taking for now but yeah not sure. Is that a antibiotic that would counter a potential hydrocele?I'm just so confused as to what could be going on. For added context I should say the condition has been going on for 2 weeks and got worse probably the last 4 days.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It started out as just a feeling of tugging on my right testicle/right tubes but then developed into first dull achey pain in my right groin and testicle and now those same symptoms but with all this crazy additional symptoms. The first time I got the weird 'liquid' over me symptom, there was a popping feeling just before in my right groin. About 10 hours later I got the same popping feeling in my left side groin followed by the same weird liquid feeling

Ciprofloxacin is an antibiotic and this should cover any infection in your testicles or prostate. It would not directly clear hydrocele but can help with any secondary infection.

I suggest you finish the course of this antibiotic if possible.

All this could just be due to some sort of infection, although this should have shown in blood test results.

Let's see what the ultrasound scan shows.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay great. I won't take up anymore of your time, u have been very helpful. I'm going to go private with my ultrasound as I just found out I have to wait 2 weeks for the NHS one! Despite it being listed as 'urgent'.

You are most welcome, and wishing you all the best!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry one last question. Why do u say u don't think it's my back? I know u said it doesn't usually manifest in the way of my symptoms but I'm a bit stumped. Isn't refered pain and groin deferred pain a classic back/nerve issue?

Back issues usually cause back pain, pain in legs, numbness or tingling or both, rarely changes in your bowels or urination but this only happens if you have disc herniation that presses on your nerves. I don't think that is the case because you would have symptoms and your doctors would have picked that up.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Understood. Well explained. Yeah I have had zero back pain (other than waiting in A&E for 5 hours!) You were super helpful. Have a great day!

I am glad I could help a little bit. You too have a great day!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry sorry. I forgot to say. I do have tingling in my legs though. And random spazms of pain. U don't think that's related to back?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Also u don't think the symptoms sound like hernia?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I ask because my inner thigh, next to the groin, is very sore as well

It is unusual to get tingling due to back issues if you have not had back problems in the past.

A hernia in the groin could possible cause tingling in the legs if it is large enough and presses on any nerves but you said your doctors could not find any hernia.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have had piriformis syndrome in the past which caused fake pain down my right leg. But I haven't had symptoms of that for 5+ years and my back generally feels fine. And yes with the hernia, if it is too small to find, I am a bit confused how it is causing so much nerve pressure

A small hernia should not compress any nerve and cause symptoms. So, it is best to wait for the ultrasound scan to see what is actually going on.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks again. You're very generous with your time!
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi, some other doctors believe that this is a case of the Pudendal nerve being trapped. I had piriformis syndrome for around 7 years in the past so that was an interesting theory to me. Do u have any thoughts on this?

I am not sure how the pudendal nerve would be damaged in your case.

Piriformis syndrome can cause spasms and lower back pain but not all of your symptoms.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hey! So I just had my ultrasound and it turns out it was a double hernia! Which explains the bilateral symptoms.Both hernias are quite small but the right one is pushing on a lot of nerve endings. They are both decently positioned for a routine surgery though.My main issue now is I am absolutely terrified of being put to sleep so I am trying to navigate how I can make myself as comfortable as possible

Hi. I am glad to hear it is nothing sinister.

You will be given plenty of time and information before the surgery and you could ask your surgeon or your GP to give you something to help with your anxiety.

I am sure you will be fine. Hernia repair surgery is a very common surgery.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you! I will speak with him about that. I think I need something strong...I had nitros oxide in the ambulance and that helped me a lot but I somehow doubt there is anything that would last that gives a similar effect to that?

They will give you something similar during anaesthesia to calm you and make you go to sleep.

I am sure you will be fine and you don't need to worry too much.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Another interesting twist...the doctors won't operate until after an MRI because they think it's impossible that such small hernias could be causing such extreme symptoms on their own.So guess I'm waiting for that now!

Hi. I understand. That might actually work out better for you because if the MRI is normal, you will avoid having surgery.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
But then I am stuck with horrendous symptoms with no explanation. Also I still will need to get rid of the hernias eventually so not really sure it's a good thing.

The good thing is that MRI scan can also show if there is anything else going on.

If the hernias are too small, they won't cause any issues and no need to remove them.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That's true but I will be paranoid about them I think until they are gone.Also the fact that wearing a hernia belt/truss seemed to remove 80-90% of the symptoms makes me think that it's definitely the hernias causing the havok. But who knows!

Let's wait for the MRI scan to see what it shows. If the hernias are not that small, they can still be removed.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I think they are small but they can still put mesh in even if they can't find them cause I'm on my back during surgery. But yes as u say, will wait until MRI just incase there's something crazy going on

OK, no worries. Wishing you all the best!