Dr Baker
Dr Baker, Family Physician
Experience:  MD
108371854

My Father had his first Sezuire 16 years ago which was put

Hi My Father had his first Sezuire 16 years ago which was put down to exhaustion.
JA: Do you have frequent headaches? Any issues with coordination or balance?
Customer: No sorry i sent before finishing the whole message
JA: Thank you so much for your time. Finally, is there anything else in your father's medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: He had another seizure last year in Feb a couple of days after the 1st Covid vaccine. Also following lack of sleep and drinking alcohol
Thank you for contacting Just Answer

I am sorry to hear about your father. What is your question please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My father suffered an isolated Tonic Colonic Seizure in February 2021. This was put down to a few triggers. The 1st covid vaccine, lack of sleep and drinking too much alcohol one night
He saw a neurologist and had an MRI and an EEG and the results were normal.
After taking Levetiracetam medication for 10 months which the hospital put him on he slowly weaned himself off and was meds free last December..
On Thursday 16th June he suffered a cluster Seizure lasting 20 mins and was sent to hospital where they took his blood and reported the results to be normal and then released him advising on no medication.
The triggers were probably heat, dehydration and lack of sleep.
He has also recently been diagnosed with under-active Thyroid and takes Levothyroxine.
I know his thyroid levels have been low for sometime as we do home test and we was trying to help the levels with natural supplements.
I wonder if the seizures are related?
I'm worried that the hospital only did a blood test and not a brain scan. Do you think it's worthwhile me booking him another EEG which would be more accurate than the last one now that he's not on seizure meds.
Also any other advice you can give would be very much appreciated.
Hayley Taylor
Thank you for this. Alcohol is a known trigger to seizures, but assuming he doesn’t drink anymore this is reassuring.

As the seizure occurred following medication being stopped it is more likely epilepsy.

An updated MRI head would be useful to check for structural causes as well as an EEG

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he stopped drinking alcohol after the last seizure. I'm surprised that the hospital didn't think that he needed medication for epilepsy.
I find this so worrying an d stressful as I'm not sure now if i should leave him alone with my 10 year old and 6 year old children. Being a grandad means more to him than anything. He lives alone in Nottingham and spends lot of time with us in Henley on Thames helping out with childcare.
That is my pleasure, I hope that all is okay

is there anything else regarding this I can help you with?