Dr Ahmad
Dr Ahmad,
Experience:  Expert
116987717

Do I have MS or ALS? none and the doctor has me on the

Customer Question

Do I have MS or ALS?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: none and the doctor has me on the neurologist list
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Put me through please
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 12 days ago.
Welcome to JA.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 12 days ago.

How old are you? Gender? Do you have any other medical conditions. What symptoms have you been experiencing and for how long?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm 28, female, British.Basically, it started with a UTI infection with lead to me having to take Macrobid (Nitro/Floxxy) at the end of May. It didn't clear the infection and at around that time. I can recall my lower back pain worsening and my left hand went numb one day when I was at home chilling.I just remember my hand going numb, I didn't think much of it. Then about two weeks later, the second week of June. I had felt my left hand/arm go numb here and there, again, ignored it. Back pain still very present. I took Cefalexin to clear the UTI which worked and in the same week I remember being in bed. And all of a sudden, I recall my toes/fingers/feet burning all at one. My thighs were throbbing/twitching. My arms hurt too. I just recall full on burning and numbness. That is all I remember and it went on for about four/five days this did. I was in agony and crying so much.After two weeks, things settled. We are in mid June now and all that I am left with are my fingers which feel weird when I curl them, their joints feel firmer? But my hands don't feel weak. My left hand/arm feels more numbish than my right, slightly. I can feel burn/cold/heat ect.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I get random twitches all over my body, lips tingle a little, I have had a tiny tingle in my tongue here and there but that isn't often.My calves can hurt a little if I am walking tons, feet tend to just buzz/pins and needles nowadays. Sometimes they can burn or sometimes I get a shooting pain in a finger.I wake up numb sometimes in my legs and sometimes a hand or the other.Come 13th July, I get a call off my doctor saying I have Pelvis Inflammatory Disease. I shit myself, I am on antibiotics for two weeks. The antibiotics did not agree with me at all. doxycycline and metronidazole made me dizzy, sore neck, stiff shoulders, I was pooping tons, could not eat.I noticed within my last week of taking them, the neuropathy I already had felt worse? Legs hurt more, I was waking up with fully numb hands and legs every morning.The antibiotics are finished now. I only now feel alive again, I do not feel fatigue but I still have back pain, I noticed my legs hurt to walk more now. I am ridiculously dehydrated. The pins and needles sensation still remain in my legs, burning toes/numb feet still happen. My stomach has settled down more now thank god. But my left arm still feels abit more numb than my right.Today I was out and I felt slightly dizzy still though. Could this be MS?Is this the start of ALS?I am just so afraid, it's absolutely horrible feeling like this!
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 11 days ago.

Firstly, I understand how scary these symptoms can be, however there are many benign conditions that could explain these including electrolyte imbalances, low iron, low folate, could also be stress induced. None the less, it is important to exclude more concerning causes particularly, like you mentioned, MS. The most appropriate thing for you to do would be to ask your GP to organise a full set of blood tests so some of the common and easily reversible causes are screened for, and to book a face to face appointment so he can perform a full body neurological examination, he can then consider booking imaging investigations or referring you to the neurology team for further assessment.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi there,
I have had recent blood tests and everything was fine. There was a dip in my vitamin D but the supplements aren’t doing much to stop the neuropathy.My symptoms started two months ago, a numb left hand and lower back pain. Then burning all around my body, throbbing and spasms.Is this how MS and ALS begins?
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 11 days ago.

There are a number of blood tests including iron/folate/vitamin b12 that may not have been tested the first time. The symptoms you describe are vague and not necessarily only present in MS and ALS e.g. in MS other symptoms such as blurred vision/bladder dysfunction, balance issues may be present. Like I mentioned your symptoms could relate to multiple benign causes or even just stress and anxiety alone. Please do not worry about these and if you raise your concerns with the GP they will be looked at accordingly.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I had an OCT scan recently and eye test but my eyes are perfect. No problem with my vision. Which worries me it could be ALS because vision isn’t a problem that disease has....Should I have an MRI and EMG test done?
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 11 days ago.
No please do not google isolated symptoms. It will not help you and will cause more anxiety which will lead to further twitches. Like I mentioned your symptoms are very general and your GP can narrow down the causes and if required will refer to a neurologist who can investigate further with scans e.g. MRIs
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will try not to...Does als usually start with numbness?
Expert:  Dr Ahmad replied 11 days ago.
No normally it can be when one experiences difficulties in doing fine motor tasks like doing up buttons etc
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
How does bulbar palsy begin