Shahid Karim
Shahid Karim, Doctor
Experience:  Medical Specialist
111381268

I would love some advice regarding taking an antihistamine

Hi, I would love some advice regarding taking an antihistamine while on epilim chrono.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: My neurologist knows I'm on epilim. This antihistamine is over the counter medication and would like some insight. Thanks
JA: Is there anything else the Doctor should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm on 500mg of epilim.chrono daily and haven't had a seizure in 20 years. My neurologist thinks I have JME because i had jerks in the year beforehand. I dont drink alcohol anymore which I think has helped a lot also.
My question is if I can take an antihistamine with Chlorphenamine Maleate in it. It's over the counter but says to consult a doctor if you have epilepsy and was wondering if it could cause a seizure. Thank you.

Good afternoon, thank you for getting in touch. Could you tell me a little more about what you'd like to discuss? I may take a few minutes to reply as dealing with other patients too, thank you

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi, can you see the bit i added to the question above?(about epilim dosage etc). Let me know if you need anymore info. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for waiting, so there is only limited documented interaction between the two. The main concern is that the chlorpheniramine can lead to drowsiness and in some people this can cause issues if the person already becomes slightly drowsy with the Valproate (Epilim) and so caution needs taking with things like driving or machinery use but thankfully there is no known concern regarding increased likelihood of seizures when taking the two together therefore all that you need to be aware of is that you may feel more sleepy when on both and to take this into consideration but otherwise fine to take both together.