Dr. Nickols M
Dr. Nickols M, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Expert
115571763

I have a resident who is epileptic. She is twitchy. She

Customer Question

I have a resident who is epileptic. She is twitchy . She didn't have any seizures for the last two days but she is twitchy,shaky ....I called the doctor to explain that they have to see her . The doctor said that she has to have a urine test . I informed the doctor that she had a urine test and I sent him the results . The doctor asked me to do a second urine test to the resident...but the resident was on antibiotics for the last days . I don't know if the doctor knows that the resident was on antibiotics in the last couple of days . My question to just answer is why the doctor asked me to do a second urine test to the resident ? Was that because he didn't understand something ? Or a second urine test is required in these cases in order to diagnose something ?
Category: Neuropathy
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Nickols M. It's a pleasure to attend to your question.

how old is she?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
35
Expert:  Dr. Nickols M replied 9 days ago.

why was the first urine test done?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think because she was twitchy...but I am not sure . She had many seizures for days but the last two days she hasn't any seizures ...she is only twitchy...not bed .... She takes antibiotics ..
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I think they said that she has uti and that's why she started antibiotics but when I told them that she is shaky they asked a second urine test .... Can you please explain to me ... I think I made a mistake ... I think I didn't inform them well ... They might didn't know that she took antibiotics and asked a urine test ??

please give me a moment

Dear customer, it is a pleasure to serve you; I want to tell you that we, as doctors, when we send a second urine test or request the repetition of any study, is because the initial result has not been conclusive for any pathology or alteration, in particular, it is also essential to inform the doctor that you are under antibiotic treatment because you can not take a urine sample or blood sample if necessary or if requested. After all, the presence of antibiotics in the body significantly alters the studies, giving erratic results. She may have a urinary tract infection, and the presence of antibiotics in the urine hides the presence of bacteria showing normal results. For this reason it is essential that she has the suspension of antibiotic treatment for at least 48 or 72 hours before performing the urine test.