How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23551
Experience:  New Zealand qualified lawyer with 38 years of experience.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now

My daughter lives in New Zealand and has broken up with her

This answer was rated:

My daughter lives in New Zealand and has broken up with her partner.he has refused to give her any of the savings they have together. He has also said he has a car loan that he said she is liable to pay half, the car is worth $97,000 NZ POUNDS He is also sending her verbally abusive text messages and emails,of a threatening nature. What rights does she have in N Z she is a British citizen. Thank you Mary mother of . Laura.
In New Zealand she has rights under the Property Relationships Act to half of the relationship property, although that will include a half share of the relationship debts. So the net equity in the car will need to be calculated, after taking into account what is owed, and she is entitled to half, if the car is relationship property. That would be a better approach than requiring her to pay half of the loan. She is also entitled to half of their savings. With regard to the abusive text and email messages, if these are physically threatening she can obtain orders under New Zealand family law which would prevent him from contacting her. So she should keep a record of the texts and emails, and if necessary apply urgently for protection orders. This can be done fairly quickly. Her status as a British citizen does not affect her rights. She can access the New Zealand family Court as if she was a citizen.
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you