How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23623
Experience:  New Zealand qualified lawyer with 38 years of experience.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now

Good Morning... I would be most grateful advice, if

This answer was rated:

Good Morning... I would be most grateful for some advice, if you are able to provide it. My mother, who has both an Australian and an Irish passport, is about to relocate to the UK from New Zealand, to be closer to Me and my family. She is in the process of buying a house here in Hampshire, and will be moving over in September. My mother, at 80, currently receives a New Zealand pension. She had previously been told that there was a arrangement between NZ and UK that would allow her to continue to receive that pension, but upon contacting the appropriate department she was advised that she would no longer receive her NZ pension once she moves to the UK. We are now seeking advice as to whether there is anyway she can apply for a pension, or part thereof, over here. Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Kind regards, ***** *****
From the NZ websiteResiding in the United KingdomYou can’t get New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension payments if you reside in the United Kingdom, but you may be able to get a United Kingdom State Pension. You’ll need to apply for this in the United Kingdom.Who can get itHow much can you get?How to applyMore informationWho can get itNew Zealanders that reside in the United Kingdom can generally use their New Zealand residence to help them meet the residential/contribution criteria for United Kingdom benefits and pensions.topHow much can you get?When you reside in the United Kingdom, you can’t be paid New Zealand Superannuation: these payments will stop from the day after you leave New Zealand.However, you may qualify for United Kingdom benefits or pensions under the agreement. Your entitlement to a New Zealand benefit or pension or your New Zealand residence can help you meet the residential/contribution criteria for United Kingdom benefits and pensions.The Pension Service in the United Kingdom decides who can get United Kingdom benefits and pensions and how much will be paid, so if you have any queries about payments, please contact them.If you get the Living Alone Payment, Disability Allowance or an Accommodation Supplement, these payments will stop from the day after you leave New Zealand.Note: From 2010, the UK State Pension age for women will increase gradually from 60 to 65 years over a period of 10 years. Men can get the UK State Pension from 65 years of age.topHow to applyYou must be in the United Kingdom to apply for United Kingdom benefits and pensions.If you don’t receive New Zealand Superannuation before leaving New Zealand and you would like the period of your New Zealand residence to be taken into account when applying for United Kingdom benefit or pension, you will need evidence of that time.This includes tax certificates, employers’ references, wage slips, travel documents, testimonials, work references and letters from neighbours and friends (please provide their contact details).If you already receive New Zealand Superannuation prior to leaving New Zealand for the United Kingdom, you will need to contact our International Services Team in New Zealand for a letter which will:verify that you received New Zealand Superannuation and the date this stoppedstate that you received this payment in your own right (not using another social security agreement to meet the criteria)For more information contact the United Kingdom Pension Service.Pension Service contact detailsThe Pension ServiceThe International Pension CentreTyneview Park Newcastle Upon Tyne NE98 1BAUnited Kingdom +44(###) ###-####44 191 218***@******.*** topMore informationOur International Services team specialise in paying New Zealand benefits and pensions overseas. They are the best people to contact for questions about getting your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension while travelling or residing overseas. They can explain the rules so you’ll know what to expect.Contact International ServicesRead about the agreement between New Zealand and the United Kingdomtop
Chris The Lawyer and other New Zealand Law Specialists are ready to help you