How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris The Lawyer Your Own Question
Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: New Zealand Law
Satisfied Customers: 23467
Experience:  New Zealand qualified lawyer with 38 years of experience.
Type Your New Zealand Law Question Here...
Chris The Lawyer is online now

If someone (with dual UK and NZ nationality) has a house in

Customer Question

If someone (with dual UK and NZ nationality) has a house in NZ they would like to sell and bring the money to the UK, what are their tax responsibities in both countries and what would be the best way to minimise UK tax? The amount in question is approx £800,000
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I can advise that if this was your own home and not a property you bought and and sold for a profit, then on the sale there is no tax in New Zealand. I cannot advise on the UK tax position as I am a New Zealand lawyer.