Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years

I have a Micra Equation s reg that has a knocking noise when

I have a Micra Equation s reg that has a knocking noise when steering to the right & a little to the left - I took it to Kwik Fit who have said it is the CV joint. Could you please explain what this is & how much it could cost me to get this fixed. Thanks

Hopefully i can help..

The CV joint is the universal joint on the Driveshaft have one from the gearbox to the drivers side wheel/hub "the longest" - and one from the gearbox to the passenger side wheel/hub "the shortest in length" - both driveshafts have two cv joints on them one inner closest to the gearbox and one outer closest to the hub - its usually the hub one that wears quicker hence the knocking/clicking in most cases when steering full lock in a certain direction etc aswell as you should feel the excess play in it when twisted/moved by hand..

Driveshafts new typically around £60-£70 approx..for fitting id say around around about hour and half's labor time to remove and you could be in the region of £150 roughly..but that an apporx as most garage labor rates around the uk can differ alot and too where they source the parts from..the best advice seeing as you had it diagnosed and verified as being the cv at could phone around other reputable garage and see if you can get the costing inc vat and parts etc down...maybe try this site I do hope this helps