Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have 34/11 cabstar 2.5turbo I have a realy bad sound coming

Hi I have 34/11 cabstar 2.5turbo I have a realy bad sound coming from rear of engine when cold . eases of as comes up to work/temp is it timing chain.steve
Hey there, when you say "rear of the engine" are you talking about the rear side of the timing cover? Does it sound like a knock or more of a rattle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its more of a wuring/chaffing sound not as fast as engine not a knock not con rods not been short of oil .
Well a constant whirring sound could be an issue with the chain tensioner guide itself. The biggest determining factor would be to get a stethescope to pinpoint the exact location before making a final judgement.
Timing chain tension is controlled by oil pressure, when the tensioners themselves fail they have trouble building up pressure to keep the guide taught on the chain for good tension.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi jake thanks for your help its now with Nissan having new timing chains and tentoiners (belt n braces) at quite an expence steve.
Steve, yes unfortunately its pricey because of the extensive labor. Sorry it turned out to be such an expensive diagnosis.