Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  self employed in the motor repair buisness 19years

I jump started my Nissan note 1.4 petrol 2009 after trying

Customer Question

I jump started my Nissan note 1.4 petrol 2009 after trying starting without engine turning.
When I drove the car the power steering was cutting off and on, so I turned back home.Parked the car the engine cut out, and car would not turn again when trying to restart.What would cause this problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Sounds like low voltage or a weak battery..i see you mention you had to jump start the car and drove it for a short period of time..that wouldnt be enough to fully charge the battery back up..a max of upto 8-10miles will ensure the battery is fully upto have to allow time for the alternator to recharge the battery..and as the power steering is fully motorised it will rely ona fully charge battery/properly working charging system to ensure the power steering operates..if its see a low voltage then the power steering will work intermitten or cut out all together leaving you with a unassisted steering...if it was to advise..either jump start the car again and leave it running for upto 30mins at idle or until the engine reaches operating temp..see if that helps.or id have someone come out to the car and inspect the battery/alternator aswell as load test..hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been running the car for 40 minutes on idle and I tried turning the steering wheel the and the steering kind of fights back PS light comes on
Car is still running I think the power steering is causing problem
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The car eventually stopped running and would not restart. Could there be a sensor preventing restart for safety reasons?
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Not really..are you sure the battery is charging? or the alternator is working..belt still intact? that would be likely the best place to start..if the PS light is on thena scan on the PS module would be the next step..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Everything seems ok with the belt on the alternator. I’m getting a new battery tomorrow and hopefully it is just that, after all the batteriy is 9 years old maybe because of age it just might not hold a charge anymore.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 months ago.

Could be ..thats why you should have the battery load tested and the alternator output voltage checked