Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a nissan almera 1.8 sport oy51 krx. Working great

I have a nissan almera 1.8 sport oy51 krx. Working great until i was ill and the car was left standing for 4 weeks. (I am a disabled lady) My regular mechanic has spent 3 hours of his time and unable to fix it. The car seemed to show a flat battery...that was replaced. They showed a faulty fuel pump, which was replaced. My car only started but then stopped. As a last resort he tried a relay for the fuel pump in question. The car started first time but then after only 5 mins stopped. My mechanic is so frustrated as he has serviced this car for years and cannot find the fault. He says that because Nissan change the part numbers now and again due to the year of my car he is not absolutely sure that he has the right relay. This one was ble if thats any help. He has been so good and is not charging me labour because he cannot fix it. I know this car is old but it is still in good condition and the mileage is 58812 I have never even had a clutch replacement. Can yo help please. Many thanks Carol Hurst
Hey Carol, has your mechanic verified that it’s missing fuel? Is that why he is working on the pump circuit? Will it run on starting fluid?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he says its a live feed problem keeps cutting out
he is not getting power to the pump, but if he jumps the pum it will run fine correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He thinks he needs a differnt relay
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, i cant tell you much more other than i said in my first call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are you still there Jake
I am here, I apologize got tied up for a sec.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
well the situation is that nothing is working as i said the relay to the fuel pump is not numbered none of them are numbered so my mechnic is unable to help. which is why we though you had any idea. THE FAULT IS ITERMITENT,
He can rule out the relay by simply testing the coil in the relay. Or simulating the coil side ground signal to activate the relay. If he grounds the coil side and the engine runs normally, then it’s sensor related to pump operation and not the relay itself. Which means he should check for an RPM signal so the ECM knows the run the pump. (Granted this is less common unless spark also goes at the same time)That being the case, testing At the relay itself, either with jumpers or by probing is the ideal spot for diagnosis.What year is your almera?
Are you saying the top of the original relay is NOT numbered with the terminal layout?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nOT THE RELAY BUT THE BOX THAT COVERS THE RELAYS and no mention in my handbook either. The car is 2001 19 years old.
Thanks, ***** ***** my confusion. So your problem is not identifying the terminal layout of the relay, but instead you don’t know where the relay is at all correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nissan here gave him the part which relates to the fuel pump but it still doe`snt work.
If so, it’s in the drivers side footwell on the Right hand side behind a square cover plate that is secured with a 10mm bolt. There are 2 relays there one black and one gray if I recall, the BLACK one is the fuel pump relay and the pinout is on the TOP of the relay.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My engineer was looking under the hood on the drivers side. I think he did look in the footwell. Anyway Jake he has left now. I will speak with him and if we need further help I will get back to you. Thank Carol
Sounds good, I will leave this correspondence for anything further you may need. Just be sure to leave a kind rating is all I ask. Thanks