Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a traction control light on my 2013 1.5 diesel Juke.

Customer Question

I have a traction control light on my 2013 1.5 diesel Juke .
Garage have said there are no fault codes reading . Traction control and abs are working fine and the car is mechanical sound.
Nissan have told me it’s a ECM UPGRADE I need to turn the light off .
Can’t I not just disconnect the battery for an hour and reset the system ?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

I'd agree to try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

However with ABS systems 95% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All wheels are responding fine they have been checked also whilst drove ( computer ) and stripped down independently .
The diognostic inspection via the ECU has no recorded faults at all there are no codes etc and none from previous history.
But this traction control light remains luminated, it can’t be turned out when instructed ( cancelled out ) but then as soon as the car moves it comes back on .
I don’t want Nissan trying to extract unnecessary money out of me for a simple disconnection of the battery if it is some thing I can do .
Would Nissan provide me with the radio/sat nav code as unfortunately it wasn’t passed over when I bought the car
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This problem started when the intercooler hose had a split
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Most dealerships will provide a radio code if they can

however some radio models require the serial number off the side 1st

but if the issue occurred post a boost hose blowing then its possible that the turbo may have been damaged

So if you remove the high pressure intake hose after the turbo and have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal

one other possibility is that the wastegate actuator spring has gone soft so allowing the wastegate to open prematurely - if your actuator has a threaded end you can increase the preload on it to see if this improves things otherwise these units are quite cheap compared to a new turbo so it may be worth trying a replacement

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Again the turbo has been tested too there is performance there , fuel consumption is no different . Everything is running as it should do . I might also add this car has only done 40k and is serviced very regular and up to date . Just never had any problems with it apart from this light on the dashboard . I’m going to ring Nissan tomorrow and see if I can have my radio code before I try the dissconection of the battery method and go from there .
It’s booked in for Nissan dealership next week at a silly cost of £280 to extinguish the light ( personally I think that is far to expensive ) hopefully I can avoid this .
From what I have been told this light came on as part of the engine management light ( not server ) like a little warning light . So I bought the hose from Nissan ( another small fortune £78 for a 6inch pipe) and the light still remains on .
It’s annoying because the car and it’s electronic features actually work as they should do .
Thank for time I just hope I can get it sorted now
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

The annoying thing about fault lights that are not engine related is often you need the dedicated scan tool from the manufacturer to read them off and diagnose

so unless you can find an independent Nissan specialist in your area then sorry to say you are forced to going to the dealers